I was using the julia REPL to solve some project Euler problems and came across this weird behavior. When I ran the simplest for loop I could think of, I experienced the worst performance I recall having using julia. However when I put something meaningful, albeit rather trivial, into the loop, the performance was like what I have come to expect from this favorite language of mine.
I tried wrapping both statements into functions with significant speedup in both cases but the numbers speak for themselves
I’m unsure as to if I should open an issue on github about this but 42 seconds can’t be acceptable. I did repeat all experiments with similar results, on a fresh run of the REPL, it went down to 26 seconds, still with the 16 GiBs of allocated memory.
I’m using Julia 0.6.0 on Windos.