How to save static svg with plotly

question

julia> using Plots

julia> plotly()
Plots.PlotlyBackend()

julia> savefig(plot(1:5,1:5), "/tmp/x.svg")

produces a HTML snippet. Is there a way to get a static SVG?

Note: I know how to do this for PlotlyJS, but that does not work for Plotly.jl and I can’t use PlotlyJS.jl now because of an open issue (unrelated).

Using v0.6-rc3, latest releases.

Check @piever 's PR here: https://github.com/JuliaPlots/Plots.jl/pull/751

Perhaps I misunderstand, but I thought that PR was for PlotlyJS, not Plotly. The .o field is nothing for Plotly plots.

No, I misunderstood. I read your question fast and thought you meant you knew how to do it directly with PlotlyJS, but not through Plots. I should have read the question properly and followed your link, sorry about the noise.
I don’t know the answer to your question - I do know that you can presently have PlotlyJS working on 0.6 if you check out this PR on Blink, though: https://github.com/JunoLab/Blink.jl/pull/88

I actually don’t think there’s a way from plotly (see the description here under plotly/plotlyjs). The best you can do I guess is either to export the plot page as pdf from your browser (less than ideal, it’s been my emergency measure since #88 ) or try and get PlotlyJS to work.

I understand. What are the current best practices for getting publication-quality plots in PDF (for papers) and SVG (blogging)? gr() is fast but pretty idiosyncratic, I used it here and the title overlaps with the plot, LaTeXStrings seem to be ignored, etc.

One very reliable way is https://github.com/JuliaInterop/RCall.jl with ggplot2…

I’m struggling with the same problem, I thought plotlyjs was a good option but it’s not completely reliable at times

I’d like to challenge the notion that this is still more reliable than doing it with Plots. It’d be nice to see it demonstrated, at least. (Aesthetic taste differs, of course).

What is the problem with savefig to a pdf with any of the working Plots backends? Yes if you only want the plotly backend you currently have to check out a certain branch of Blink, but that is close to merging.
EDIT: You may actually have been asking about the Plots backends. Have you tried out pgfplots()? Sorry for sounding defensive.

Oh, I didn’t want to make a comparative statement! I just find ggplot2 via RCall reliable, there is a ton of documentation and it always works for me. Might be the same with Plots.jl, I don’t really know.

Cool :slight_smile: I just have a feeling that we tend to still underestimate the plotting capabilities of Julia a little and immediately caught on a chance to demonstrate it in a duel :smiley:

I tried the pgfplots() backend, and actually it works fine (except for the bug below). This is my new favorite from now on for high-quality plots. Thanks!

To me you did not sound defensive. At the same time, I apologize if I came across as complaining about anything related to Plots.jl, I find this a great library and appreciate the effort of everyone involved. I was just asking for help.

Incidentally, I found that the LaTeX comment character can mess up plots with pgfplots(), MWE:

using Plots
pgfplots()
p = plot(1:5, 1:5, title = "unsanitized %")
savefig(p, "/tmp/x.pdf")

Is this known, or should I report it as an issue? Could not find it. Would be happy to make a PR with some guidance for the proper entry point.

EDIT: I wonder why I can’t mark your answer as a solution.

That’s an issue, I’d say.
One cool feature of pgfplots is that you can savefig the plot to a .tex file, which makes the style of the plot inherit the style of the publication when you incorporate it in a LaTeX document. That’s a pretty killer feature if you use LaTeX.

Thanks. Reported the issue, will continue on Github.