How to install juliaup systemwide for all users (linux)?

If I want to install julia systemwide, I just add it somewhere accessible and sysmink julia to /usr/bin/julia. This works perfectly because then each user will have its own ~/.julia folder, but if I want juliaup systemwide? The curl method described seems only for user installation…
EDIT: and, no, it doesn’t seems to “simply work”.. even if I chmod 777 the whole folder (!) I got the error that the julia launcher failed to figure out which juliaup channel to use…

Guess that this is not supported. See; Provide a guide for installing Julia via `juliaup` in a computer lab (so sysadmin installs juliaup and julia, regular users only run julia), or if this is not supported, a notice to that effect · Issue #1429 · JuliaLang/juliaup · GitHub

Arch Linux packages juliaup for systemwide install, so it must be possible also on other platforms with some effort.

Im sure pacman handles it for the aur juliup and its system wide but its the opposite of what the other guy is trying. It moves juliup to /usr/bin system wide or symlinks it as well as julia but im unsure if the ~/. Files for julia are specific to seperate users. Worth testing because thats legit if it does. There was a recent thfead about some ANN a julia linux installer as well.

I made GitHub - nhz2/install-julia-linux: A script to install the Julia programming language on Linux · GitHub as a shell script with some of the features I liked from juliaup. It’s just a shell script so is trivial to install or modify.

What I like of juliaup is that the default julia version can be defined per project, so my old project that I started working with julia 1.10, still uses julia 1.10, my new cool project uses 1.12…

Any idea if installing juliaup sistemwide is possible and how to implement it ?

It would require changes for juliaup to simultaneously support systemwide and per-user julia installations, because you’d need to resolve priorities in configurations (e.g. the chosen default channel) if a user installs juliaup himself after a sysadmin has installed for all users. Unless the juliaup team would like to work on such a feature request, your best bet would be manually downloading “bare” julia binaries, keeping them up to date, and making them available to all users without using juliaup.

Thanl you, I’ll ask the julaiup team… [EDIT: of course this enhancement has already been asked :slight_smile: ]
I think the simplest yet usefull systemwide juliaup installation is that there are no julia or channels systemwide at all, only the binary that provides the upadate, install, list… and then each user has its own .juliaup configuration and somewhere it’s downloaded julia binaries…

Just thinking the way linux works if juliup is in /usr/bin and installs through pacman any requested version regardless of user then it would store those binaries systemwide.. thats to the root fs. Whoever you log into should have those versions available or even install the versions they need. Then your home configs borrow those versions. Im only speculating because im on linux but I use juliup official as a single user on the system, but he is right. If i go to another user on this pc julia isnt accessible at all and would need an entirely new install stack and toolchains to support that space

I sort of think that this part is supposed to work out of the box.

I got the error that the julia launcher failed to figure out which juliaup channel to use…

That happened to me too when I first tried it. Then I made some experiments with the JULIAUP_DEPOT_PATH environment variable and got it running. But now I’m failing to get back to the broken state.

jinstall can install and switch julia to the version specified in a local Manifest.toml with jinstall manifest ., but since it doesn’t use a launcher it doesn’t happen automatically just with calling julia. I wonder if this would be possible with a clever startup.jl?