How to improve Plots.jl's look

I agree - that was also in essence my suggestion.

2 Likes

While I understand that the ambition is to establish Julia as a general purpose language, it has been stated many times (and also on the front page) that the main focus remains numerical computing, at least for now.

I also think that one of the most important target audiences for Julia are exactly people who may be attracted by spiffy visuals (e.g. people like me.)

3 Likes

This is a good point, but at the moment we would be making a promise (“Julia has great plots”) that is a bit premature if you scratch the surface. Perhaps this question should be revisited when the plotting ecosystem stabilizes and the Visualization domain is flooded with questions along the lines of “how can I send cakes & beer to the developers to show my appreciation” instead of the current ones. :smile:

Can we just rename this thread “General gripes of the day”?

5 Likes

No.

I have to say though, that that title is kind of inflammatory. Ugly is an ugly word. I just got my rights to change titles. I’m doing it!!!

11 Likes

I would encourage to move the discussion about how to improve Plots.jl look to a different thread.

I would also note that every please adhere to the community standards:

1. Be respectful
  2. Be concise
  3. Get involved

Respect peoples time and attention. We are all part of this community and if you want to enact change you can do that by getting involved, actively contributing and leading by example.

5 Likes