How can I be able to use binary command "julia" in Mac OSX terminal?

I have installed Julia-v1.1 and the default IDE works pretty well. But I can’t directly use some command line instructions such as "$ julia script.jl arg1 arg2… " in Mac Terminal. It returns “command not found”. How can I install the binary command for Julia?

There are some suggestions here. If you find anything that needs improving there, let us know…

Probably the easiest way is to issue a similar command like the one below in the MacOS terminal

ln -fs "/Applications/Julia-1.0.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/julia" /usr/local/bin/julia

Remember I said SIMILAR, you need to double check the location of julia first in the /Application folder

This is what I have on my Mac

$ which julia
/usr/local/bin/julia
$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/julia*
lrwxr-xr-x  1 ssiew  admin  62 22 Sep  2018 /usr/local/bin/julia -> /Applications/Julia-1.0.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/julia
lrwxr-xr-x  1 ssiew  admin  62 22 Sep  2018 /usr/local/bin/julia06 -> /Applications/Julia-0.6.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/julia
lrwxr-xr-x  1 ssiew  admin  62 22 Sep  2018 /usr/local/bin/julia07 -> /Applications/Julia-0.7.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/julia
$ 

postscript: I have not installed Julia 1.1 on my system so I have no clue where the binary for julia is located on the /Application folder for version 1.1 perhaps someone who has installed it can let you know the exact location.

2 Likes