History of the current (temporary) environment

Is it possible to fetch (or copy to a file) the history of the commands of specifically the current temporary environment? Such as something like:

(@v1.7) pkg> activate --temp
  Activating new project at `/tmp/jl_gaocNs`

julia> using StaticArrays

julia> x = rand(SVector{3,Float64})
3-element SVector{3, Float64} with indices SOneTo(3):

the .julia/logs/repl_history.jl contains that information, but in a mixed order if two Julia sections are run at the same time, and no indication about the section or environment associated to each command.

2 Likes

If you know in advance you’ll want it, you can supply --history_file="filename.log" to the julia call

2 Likes

Interesting! Can this also be set/changed during a session?
Is it possible to use an IOBuffer instead of a file?

1 Like

I was wrong, I just saw that somewhere and made an ass out of u and me. --history_file is a boolean option.

And looking into the code of REPL.jl, it seems pretty difficult to roll your own. It’s stored as an IOStream in the REPL.Prompt object in the julia_prompt field of the Repl.ModalInterface that is stored in a REPL.LineEditREPL object that represents the currently running REPL, so if you can get that out somehow you could potentially backtrace and replace it with your own IOStream, but I have found no methods to do any of it. Sounds like a feature request.

3 Likes

Packages like Revise seem to assume complete control over the REPL (even changing the color of the prompt and anticipating all commands). So I guess this can be done. I will take a look at these packages to see how they work.