High view description of the folders in .julia?

Hello, where can I find a discussion, possibly user-centered, about the folders inside .jullia ?

I have the following folders:

• clones
  • compiled
  • conda
  • dev
  • environments
  • logs
  • packages
  • prefs
  • registries

What’s the role of this folders ? What if I want to reset all the packages in one specific versions of Julia (I saw that “environments” keeps only an index of packages not the packages themselves)

2 Likes

Full clones of package repos, basically a cache, maintained by Pkg.

Precompile *.ji files for packages.

Directory created and maintained by GitHub - JuliaPy/Conda.jl: Conda managing Julia binary dependencies.

Default directory used when you Pkg.develop a package.

Default package environments, like v1.0, v1.1.

REPL history, and some Pkg/Manifest usage.

Packages, maintained by Pkg, don’t touch.

Some config for GitHub - JuliaLang/IJulia.jl: Julia kernel for Jupyter.

Package registries.

Not sure what you mean with this.

10 Likes

Thank you for your very quick reply.
I mean that, at least with the previous versions, sometimes the whole environment was becoming a mess for package compatibilities and a quick way to come out was to start fresh and remove the packages of a specific version, that were all inside that version folder.

If I’ll want ever to reset a specific Julia version, what should I do now? Just remove the index from environments/vX.Y ?

Yea, removing the index files (Project.toml and Manifest.toml) for that environment should do what you want.

4 Likes

You can use pkg> gc to clean up unused versions of packages, if thats what you need.

What about the .cache directory? It’s a full GiB on my system, bigger than even packages.

I think that is from the old package manager.

1 Like

Thanks for this great overview. Is there such an overview in the docs somewhere? If not I would be willing to turn your answer into a PR. Just not sure where, Julia or Pkg.jl?

1 Like

https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/pull/36635

1 Like