I’m having trouble finding the right combination of GUI and plotting package that would work with a package I’m developing, and I was hoping to get an opinion from someone more familiar with the Julia ecosystem.
The context is that I’m developing an app similar to the one here:
where you can explore fractals like the Mandelbrot set interactively.
The extra features I would want mine to have are:
- Integration with a notebook interface (preferably Pluto), so the user could input the functions or algorithms used to produce the plots.
- Being able to plot the fractals on a sphere in 3D where you can interact with the view.
- Some other math stuff.
I managed to do part of this project using only Makie, but not having menubars, file dialogs, or other GUI functionalities is starting to be a problem. So my questions are:
- Is it feasible to make an interactive app using Gtk4Makie.jl, QML.jl or something similar and what would be the best GUI framework to use with Makie?
- If there is no good combination of GUI + Makie, is there a GUI framework where I can make simple 3d plots directly? (I only need to plot a sphere with a texture on top, but I would need to make custom camera and plot interaction controls)
- Or maybe I should use another plotting package (plot updates need to be fast though)?
For reference, here is a link to a previous version of this package (in Python + Matplotlib + Tk + Numba) that I made before switching to Julia: