Gradient of fields in data structure

I am trying to do some design optimization using a gradient-based method. For that I have written an analysis code that has a ton of parameters (some of which I want to optimize), that are stored in data structures (structs).

The problem is that I am running into type conversion errors when trying to use ForwardDiff or ReverseDiff to get gradients, because in those data structures the parameters’ types are set to Float64.

As an example consider the following. (note that this is a phenomenally stupid example, but it highlights what I am trying to do).

using ForwardDiff

struct ThinWalledCircle

t::Float64
    R::Float64

end

struct ThinWalledCirclePar{T}

t::T
    R::T

end

function area(circle)

return 2 * π * circle.R * circle.t

end

function compute_area_circle(t::Float64, R::Number)

circle = ThinWalledCirclePar(t, R)
    # circle = ThinWalledCircle(t, R)

return area(circle)

end

compute_area_circle(1e-3, 0.5)

Rfunc = R -> compute_area_circle(1e-3, R)

ForwardDiff.derivative(Rfunc, 0.4)

With either type ThinWalledCircle or ThinWalledCirclePar I am running into errors, because either the type of t is wrong or the type of R is wrong.

The error message for the code above is

ERROR: LoadError: MethodError: no method matching ThinWalledCirclePar(::Float64, ::ForwardDiff.Dual{ForwardDiff.Tag{var"#35#36",Float64},Float64,1})
Closest candidates are:
  ThinWalledCirclePar(::T, ::T) where T at /app/test/diff_ds_example.jl:12
Stacktrace:
 [1] compute_area_circle(::Float64, ::ForwardDiff.Dual{ForwardDiff.Tag{var"#35#36",Float64},Float64,1}) at /app/test/diff_ds_example.jl:25
 [2] (::var"#35#36")(::ForwardDiff.Dual{ForwardDiff.Tag{var"#35#36",Float64},Float64,1}) at /app/test/diff_ds_example.jl:33
 [3] derivative(::var"#35#36", ::Float64) at /root/.julia/packages/ForwardDiff/CrVlm/src/derivative.jl:13
 [4] top-level scope at /app/test/diff_ds_example.jl:35
 [5] include(::String) at ./client.jl:439
 [6] top-level scope at REPL[6]:1
 [7] eval(::Module, ::Any) at ./boot.jl:331
 [8] eval_user_input(::Any, ::REPL.REPLBackend) at /usr/local/julia-1.4.2/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.4/REPL/src/REPL.jl:86
 [9] run_backend(::REPL.REPLBackend) at /root/.julia/packages/Revise/BqeJF/src/Revise.jl:1184
 [10] top-level scope at none:0
in expression starting at /app/test/diff_ds_example.jl:35

I can think of two solutions, both with drawbacks:

1. Change all types from Float64 to Number. But because Number is an abstract type this is going to cost performance, right?
  2. Make each data structure parametric on at least two types (one for the non-optimized variables and one for the optimized variables). That shouldn’t cost performance but results in a ton of (nested) parametric types meaning the code gets quite messy (and compilation takes longer?). Additional problem is that I then can’t optimize only a subset of the optimization variables, because I would again run into type errors.

Can anyone think of a better way of doing this? Or have an opinion on which approach is better (1 or 2)?

You didn’t post any error message. Suggest you add them. But looking at the error, this seemed to do the trick, but I am not sure if it’s a good idea in general.

struct ThinWalledCirclePar{T1, T2}
    t::T1
    R::T2
end

In case, maybe putting it in a structure is not a good idea. For ForwardDiff code.

Thanks for your reply. I added the error message.

Yeah that’s the option 2 I was referring to. I agree I’m not sure it’s a good idea for all the reasons listed there.

For code organization though, I can’t really get around using structures, because otherwise the whole code becomes a bloody mess with functions with 10s of input variables etc and 10s of outputs.