Gadfly, the native Julia statistical plotting library, adds Julia 1.0 support!

We’re excited to announce that Gadfly.jl v1.0 :sparkles: is now officially released! The headlining feature is that Gadfly now supports Julia 1.0 :tada: You can find it via the Julia package manager.

It’s been about a month since we announced that Gadfly added Julia 1.0 support on master and with all the bugfixes we think it’s battle tested and ready to be released into the wild!

Gadfly in 30 secs

Gadfly is the native Julia grammar of graphics plotting library that is particularly well suited to 2D statistical plots :chart_with_upwards_trend::bar_chart:, but can do a lot more. It makes it very easy to compose complex plots with an easy, consistent, and logical approach. It’s likely that you won’t need the docs that often compared to most plotting libraries, but we’re quite proud of ours regardless: Home · Gadfly.jl

48 Likes

I love this plotting library, mostly because it produces such beautiful plots out of the box.

Thank you to all who made this happen!

2 Likes

Great to hear! A lot of the heavy lifting was done by @bjarthur and @Mattriks. Let us know how things work out for you with the new release.

Do you mind pointing out where in the code does it actually “do” the plotting… trying to learn how the display works.

Thanks

Is it faster than on 6.2?

Not significantly. I think the library needs some refactoring to speed it up since it’s been around since Julia v0.1 (even before then) and has some archaic design features. It would really help if we could get some eyes on the codebase from Julia Computing or someone with more experience with Julia performance. Our time to first plot is still embarassingly slow and the speed of subsequent plots shows that we have some solvable bottlenecks.

This where we actually show the plots:

Thanks, but I have problem installing. Basically I was using the master branch sometime ago so I have

(v1.0) pkg> st
    Status `~/.julia/environments/v1.0/Project.toml`
[c91e804a] Gadfly v0.8.0+ #master (https://github.com/GiovineItalia/Gadfly.jl.git)

when i execute

(v1.0) pkg> add Gadfly
  Updating registry at `~/.julia/registries/General`
  Updating git-repo `https://github.com/JuliaRegistries/General.git`
 Resolving package versions...
ERROR: Unsatisfiable requirements detected for package Gadfly [c91e804a]:
 Gadfly [c91e804a] log:
 ├─possible versions are: 1.0.0 or uninstalled
 ├─Gadfly [c91e804a] is fixed to version 1.0.0+
 └─restricted to versions 0.8.0 by an explicit requirement — no versions left

Maybe try using Pkg.free?

(v1.0) pkg> ?free
  free pkg[=uuid] ...

Free a pinned package pkg, which allows it to be upgraded or downgraded again. If the package is checked out (see help develop) then this command makes the package no
  longer being checked out.

(v1.0) pkg> free Gadfly

Like others, I’d like to extend thanks and congratulations to the Gadfly team. Gadfly has been my plotting package for years and there are Gadfly plots all over my thesis :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I am newbie and as 2021 November, the documentation is very lacking. I have opened an issue about it. Old versions seem to have better documentation and more samples. The style used in older version must be kept. Every api must have a description of its arguments, and some samples. This is a very good library. I have selected this library out of Plotsly, makie, vegaplots, plots. But when it comes to details, there are basically no information other that looking at source code. I really really not want to leave this library but the documentation must really be improved. It needs also 3d plotting features. I would not want to go to other libraries to plot 3d plots.

1 Like