For Julia programmers who also work with Rust: When you write in Rust, do you miss Julia's multiple dispatch, or are there features of Rust that make up for that loss?

Sorry if this is too off-topic, I’ll delete it if so.

4 Likes

Absolutely. I am new to Rust and miss Julia a lot when I use it. I feel like I am still fighting rust.

There’s no doubt that learning rust makes me understand and appreciate Julia’s design more. The shared zero-cost abstraction philosophy and LLVM compilation imply a sort of kinship that gives you perspective on the advantages of both. Rust’s principle of memory management is definitely elegant and the compiler very demanding. I come back to julia and it’s like I’ve been training under high gravity, suddenly cut loose.

Rust is like salad greens all the time. That is both the draw and the pain. The idea of living off salad alone is kind of crazy though.

17 Likes

Better than C++ I bet though. Programming in that language is like raw meat all the time. :wink:

8 Likes

but do they miss interfaces?

1 Like

I don’t like that I have to guess about conforming to untyped “interfaces”, nor do I enjoy worrying about data races without any computer help.

3 Likes