Firebird database in Julia?

Hello,
we use Firebird database in our compnay, for our Erp software.
I was trying to use a firebird driver for Julia, and i found this:

But I, who am a beginner, cannot import the package …
I have this error … (i am, gibing pwd(), in the folder where i have FirebirdDB.jl")

julia> import Pkg

julia> Pkg.add(“FirebirdDB”)
ERROR: The following package names could not be resolved:

• FirebirdDB (not found in project, manifest or registry)
    Please specify by known name=uuid.
    Stacktrace:
    [1] pkgerror(::String) at C:\Users\dario\AppData\Local\Julia-1.3.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.3\Pkg\src\Types.jl:113
    [2] #ensure_resolved#101(::Bool, ::typeof(Pkg.Types.ensure_resolved), ::Pkg.Types.EnvCache, ::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1}) at C:\Users\dario\AppData\Local\Julia-1.3.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.3\Pkg\src\Types.jl:936
    [3] #ensure_resolved at .\none:0 [inlined]
    [4] #add#25(::Bool, ::Pkg.BinaryPlatforms.Windows, ::Base.Iterators.Pairs{Union{},Union{},Tuple{},NamedTuple{(),Tuple{}}}, ::typeof(Pkg.API.add), ::Pkg.Types.Context, ::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1}) at C:\Users\dario\AppData\Local\Julia-1.3.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.3\Pkg\src\API.jl:97
    [5] add(::Pkg.Types.Context, ::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1}) at C:\Users\dario\AppData\Local\Julia-1.3.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.3\Pkg\src\API.jl:72
    [6] #add#24 at C:\Users\dario\AppData\Local\Julia-1.3.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.3\Pkg\src\API.jl:69 [inlined]
    [7] add at C:\Users\dario\AppData\Local\Julia-1.3.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.3\Pkg\src\API.jl:69 [inlined]
    [8] #add#21 at C:\Users\dario\AppData\Local\Julia-1.3.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.3\Pkg\src\API.jl:67 [inlined]
    [9] add at C:\Users\dario\AppData\Local\Julia-1.3.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.3\Pkg\src\API.jl:67 [inlined]
    [10] #add#20(::Base.Iterators.Pairs{Union{},Union{},Tuple{},NamedTuple{(),Tuple{}}}, ::typeof(Pkg.API.add), ::String) at C:\Users\dario\AppData\Local\Julia-1.3.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.3\Pkg\src\API.jl:66
    [11] add(::String) at C:\Users\dario\AppData\Local\Julia-1.3.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.3\Pkg\src\API.jl:66
    [12] top-level scope at none:0

What i can do having cloned the source code on my pc, to import it?

To get Julia in the “weapons” of our company,
I should be able to access the firebird database …

Many thanks!

The package is unregistered. Try

]add https://github.com/HatsuneMiku/FirebirdDB.jl.git

Note that the FirebirdDB.jl code is pretty old, and is unlikely to work as-is on Julia 1.x. It also seems to be pretty basic (and probably incomplete) (sorry, just setting your expectations here).

2 Likes

Note that the ultimate fall-back for database support in Julia is JDBC.jl. If you can’t access a database directly in Julia because native Julia software or a C wrapper doesn’t exist, in almost all cases a driver exists for JDBC. Unfortunately this comes at the price of adding the JVM as a dependency, but at least you can be fairly confident that you’ll never be stuck without a way to access your database from inside Julia.

1 Like

Thanks @avik, in fact I have imported correctly the package (thanks to @kdyrhage), but then it makes mistakes in compiling it, so i think you are right …

At least, I seem to have understood, what can I do in the way suggested by @kdyrhage if I run into a package that Julia doesn’t care directly, right?

Ah, many thanks @ExpandingMan !

I have seen in the Firebird web site that it has driver for ODBC e JDBC:

Honestly, I don’t know Java very well … i think to use ODBC instead …

So the way to use our database is this one, ok … i will test …

I recently regretted juliahub the Firebird driver.
https://juliahub.com/ui/Packages/Firebird/pPw8v/0.2.0
Try it!