Fast 4D argmax

How about using

julia_assign("A", A)
julia_eval("whichmax5Dt(A)", "Julia")

This should help us evaluate transfer issues.

6 Likes

@mkitti - great suggestion - here is my R code and results now:

# Make an array
n = 20 ; nx = 400 ; v = 40 ; d = 3 
array4d <- array( runif(n*nx*v*d ,-1,0),
                  dim = c(n, nx, v, d) )
#Assign to Julia
julia_assign("A", array4d)

microbenchmark:: microbenchmark(
  res1 <- which_max_4D(array4d),
  res2 <- julia_eval("whichmax4D1(A)", "R"),
  res3 <- julia_eval("whichmax4D2(A)", "R"),
  res4 <- julia_eval("whichmax4Dmap(A)", "R"),
  res5 <- julia_eval("whichmax4Dreduce(A)", "R"),
  res6 <- julia_eval("whichmax4Dtullio(A)", "R"),
  res7 <- julia_eval("whichmax4D5_leandro(A)", "R"),
  res8 <- julia_eval("whichmax4D5_elrod(A)", "R"),
  res9 <- julia_eval("whichmax4D6(A)", "R"),
  res10 <- whichmaxC(array4d), times=500)

Wow!! :smiley:

I also ran a benchmark on the julia_assign command:

Looks like you are right @mkitti - the slow part is moving the data from R to Julia

Edit: I ran it on an even bigger array also:

3 Likes

The performance here is indeed dominated by array transformation. Typically, the time can be decomposed into three parts.

1. JuliaCall interface function time cost (julia_call on the order of 10 microsends, julia_command on the order of 100 microseconds).
  2. data transfer time cost, which will be on the order of milliseconds for a large data set like this.
  3. julia function time cost.
3 Likes

It should be possible to wrap the raw bits of the R array instead of converting/copying - this is already done here in RCall.jl for R → Julia arrays.

1 Like

Thanks for the information.
The current implementation of JuliaCall is on the “safe” side, so users have little to worry about. I have thought about having something like julia_unsafe_call which does not do things like automatic type conversion/data copying. I will think more about the idea when I have more time on this.
Another thing is that JuliaCall currently uses RCall.rcopy for data copying. I just noticed that the performance here seems to be magnitude slower than copy in julia. And in this case, the rcopy logic should be here: RCall.jl/base.jl at 0b5e9f119008d3a8471833566745311df79101ff · JuliaInterop/RCall.jl · GitHub
I’m wondering whether the performance for rcopy in this case can also be improved.

3 Likes

That all sounds awesome! To give you my perspective on how I’d like to use JuliaCall → I’m fluent enough in R to be effective at getting my work tasks done quickly and dabble with making packages etc (nothing released yet), I expect it would take me a while to get to that level in Julia. But I would like to splash in snippets of Julia here and there were R is particularly slow, as opposed to writing large functions outright. I know many people use Rcpp in this way, but I’ve always found C++ to be utterly impenetrable for me. Learning Julia seems more achievable for me! So from that point of view, achieving blistering speed via a julia_unsafe_call for short functions sounds very appealing, but, I do understand why its something you need to think carefully about also! In any case JuliaCall is already an awesome package - thank you!

I must say, the response to my query here has been great and I’m blown away at all the options presented, and speeds that can be achieved - thank you all for the time you have put into this!

5 Likes

To elaborate on the unsafe aspects, see the comment here:

The asymmetry of the transfers is immediately striking to me. I may be mistaken, but we do not see a lot of overhead of transferring the result from Julia to R. This suggests a strategy of starting with the variable on the Julia side.

Perhaps @randy3k or @simonbyrne could comment from the Rcall.jl perspective. I suspect julia_[unsafe]_call might not be that unsafe if julia_call could protect the data from R’s garbage collection. Some combination of robject, RCall.protect, and unsafe_array might work.

4 Likes