EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION when using LinearAlgebra.jl

I noticed this problem on my machine. I am thinking it is a installation issue and am wondering what else may be affected. Thanks in advance for any insight you might give in this matter.

The problem is that julia crashes when I use the dot function from LinearAlgebra.jl on arrays of complex numbers that are longer than 10^4. If the arrays of complex numbers have of length 10001 or more, it crashes. If the arrays are real dot works just fine. If the arrays are complex and are less than 10001 entries dot works fine.

Another interesting point is that when I run the code for the dot function (found in the repository for LinearAlgebra) and use that function it works as it should in this case. So, when I run

function dot end

function dot(x, y) # arbitrary iterables
    ix = iterate(x)
    iy = iterate(y)
    if ix === nothing
        if iy !== nothing
            throw(DimensionMismatch("x and y are of different lengths!"))
        end
        return dot(zero(eltype(x)), zero(eltype(y)))
    end
    if iy === nothing
    end
    (vx, xs) = ix
    (vy, ys) = iy
    s = dot(vx, vy)
    while true
        ix = iterate(x, xs)
        iy = iterate(y, ys)
        ix === nothing && break
        iy === nothing && break
        (vx, xs), (vy, ys) = ix, iy
        s += dot(vx, vy)
    end
    if !(iy === nothing && ix === nothing)
    end
    return s
end

dot(x::Number, y::Number) = conj(x) * y

function dot(x::AbstractArray, y::AbstractArray)
    lx = length(x)
    if lx != length(y)
        throw(DimensionMismatch("first array has length $(lx) which does not match the length of the second, $(length(y))."))
    end
    if lx == 0
        return dot(zero(eltype(x)), zero(eltype(y)))
    end
    s = zero(dot(first(x), first(y)))
    for (Ix, Iy) in zip(eachindex(x), eachindex(y))
        @inbounds s += dot(x[Ix], y[Iy])
    end
    s
end

foo(n) = randn(n) + im*randn(n)

dot(foo(10^7),foo(10^7))

It works fine but if I run:

using LinearAlgebra: dot

foo(n) = randn(n) + im*randn(n)

dot(foo(10001),foo(10001))

julia crashes.

The error message I get before julia dies is here:

Please submit a bug report with steps to reproduce this fault, and any error messages that follow (in their entirety). Thanks.
Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION with steps to reproduce this fault, and any error messages that follow (in their entirety). Thanks.
Exception:
Please submit a bug repor
Please submit a bug report with steps to reproduce this fault, and any error messages that follow (in their entirety). Thanks.
Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0x1d407280 --  at 0x1d407280 -- OLATION with steps to reproduce this fault, and any error messages that follow (in their entirety). Thanks.
Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0x1d407280 --  at 0x1d407280 --  at 0x1d407280 -- OLATION with steps to reproduce this fault, and any error messages that follow (in their entirety). Thanks.
Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0x1d407280 --  at 0x1d407280 -- OLATION with steps to reproduce this fault, and any error messages that follow (in their entirety). Thanks.
Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0x1d407280 --  at 0x1d407280 -- OLATION at 0x1d407280 --  at 0x1d407280 -- OLATION with steps to reproduce this fault, and any error messages that follow (in their entirety). Thanks.
Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0x1d407280 --

Here are my configurations

julia> versioninfo()
Julia Version 1.5.2
Commit 539f3ce943 (2020-09-23 23:17 UTC)
Platform Info:
  CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
  WORD_SIZE: 64
  LIBM: libopenlibm
  LLVM: libLLVM-9.0.1 (ORCJIT, skylake)

I am happy to supply any other help information.
Thank you.

Can reproduce, open an issue on github! :slight_smile: Issues · JuliaLang/julia · GitHub

Ok, I will. Thanks!

I open an issue on github: https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/38305

2 Likes