Errors associated with "using GMT"

It is working now!!! :+1: :+1: :+1:

Thank you so much, although I’m not sure what exactly just happened! There are so many things going on, conda, homebrew, new path environment.

After this, when I use GMT, my sample.jl does not necessarily need to be in the path/GMTenv directory am I right?

Yes, you are right, however, when running julia with a jl file you have to specify where the sample.jl file is located (so: julia path/to/sample.jl) or you have to be in the directory where the file is. And of course you have to have julia in the PATH or start julia when you are in its bin directory (./julia) or at least this I understand is on Linux.

All I need to do is to put “using GMT” in my sample.jl?

If your code uses GMT.jl package you have to write it in your code by using GMT. Again, I am interested in this package, however, I have never used GMT.jl.

1 Like

Great!

1 Like

BTW, I created the new path/GMTenv on my desktop. May I move it somewhere else? Or it has to be there in order for the program to work?

Frankly, I do not know. I have never tried moving it. If you give it a try, please let me know.

1 Like

Sorry for the many questions.

Now I have just upgraded to Julia 1.7. What do I need to do in order to migrate my GMT package to Julia 1.7? Should I just do the below within Julia 1.7?
using Pkg
Pkg.add(“GMT”)

In the future, if I need to reformat my hard disk and reinstall my Mac OS, I can follow these steps to install a fresh version of GMT on my Julia?

If you upgraded to 1.7 probably apart to v1.6 you have a new v1.7 “general” Julia environment in ~/.julia/environments and a new set of “general” Manifest.toml and Project.toml files there. AFAIK, the best is to reproduce everything from the scratch. Also probably best would be to keep as little as possible in the “general” environment and for particular projects to use separate environments as was the case in my previous posts (actually there was a separate Julia and a separate Conda environment at the same time). You may also try to copy Manifest.toml, Project.toml and PythonCallDeps.toml files from v1.6 to v1.7 directory, however, as you were advised in your other recent thread by very knowledgeable persons, its not always ok to do it. [How do you like Julia 1.7?]

I think so. Again, this example was using the separate Julia environment as well as PythonCall and its separate Conda environment. You may try without PythonCall; with only separate Julia environment and the GMT.jl package. My guess is, after reading some posts in this thread, that GMT.jl would use Conda.jl which usually works also ok but AIUI is probably not as versatile at least in some use cases as PythonCall but probably less heavy wrt space occupied on a storage drive.

BTW, how do you like the GMT package? So far I have been using Gadfly and CairoMakie and was planning to do some geo plots there. I have been reading that Vega.jl / VegaLite.jl is ok for plotting maps and recently came by kepler.gl which works in VS Code and Jupyter and as I was informed by a person who is very knowledgeable about Pluto, should also work there.

1 Like

Many thanks for the information! Unfortunately, I’m completely new to GMT. I’m also wondering what is the best packages to plot maps.

Its hard to say and it depends on a particular use case. I think there are many. Apart to mentioned above, some other that come to my mind:

I am also recalling that probably also YAXArrays.jl (not sure about it) or a very similar package is offering some plotting abilities / integrations, however, as for now I can not recall any details.

If anybody has anything to add, I would be interested to learn more.

1 Like