Hi everyone, so I’m thinking of upgrading my compute situation a bit. I have a ratty old desktop, a laptop, and a decent GPU laying around.
What I want is for my main driver, my laptop, to offload on prem. compute to a GPU. What I can’t decide is if buying one of those really expensive eGPU enclosures is worthwhile or not. It seems like a barebones headless linux box could be built for the same cost as an eGPU enclosure…
There are pros and cons to both approaches…
- Pros: small/portable
- Pros: no power draw unless it’s in use.
- Con: limited via thunderbolt, or weird connections. Some people rip open their laptop cases having ribbon cables sticking out… Eek?
- Con: expensive…
- Pro: is a second computer.
- Pro: can be upgraded/slapped together with some parts already laying around or as hardware improves.
- Pro: no wires to laptop. Could remote in from anywhere.
- Con: ferrying data back and forth, remote access, etc. Nuissance.
- Con: Cheaping out on CPU/RAM etc can/will bottleneck a GPU.
Anyone else been in a similar spot, what did you decide?