Draw two distinct random integers from `1:n`

I’m looking for a fast and elegant way to repeatedly draw two distinct random integers from the range 1:n.

A naive baseline:

julia> function draw(n, iter)                                                                                                                                                                                                         
           for i in 1:iter                                                                                                                                                                                                            
               a, b = rand(1:n), rand(1:n)                                                                                                                                                                                            
               while b == a                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                   b = rand(1:n)                                                                                                                                                                                                      
               end                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
           end                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
           return nothing
       end
draw (generic function with 1 method)

julia> @btime draw(10_000, 1000);
  6.857 ΞΌs (0 allocations: 0 bytes)

Preferably, I’d want a solution that doesn’t use external packages (since eventually I want to use this in a package and don’t want to add extra dependencies). But depending on elegance and speed I might reconsider :wink:

Let the games begin :slight_smile: (and thanks in advance!)

With n = 10_000 you hit that branch almost never, so this is probably optimal.

3 Likes

If n is large, thus the probability of coincidence is very small, probably one cannot improve too much what you have. For small n I came up with this (though I’m not sure if the distributions don’t become correlated somehow):

julia> function draw2(n)
           a = rand(1:n)
           b = rand(1:n-1)
           if a >= b
               b += 1
           end
           a, b
       end

(thinking a bit further, I think this option is fine, the second draw is a draw on the remaining possible β€œpositions”, which are univocally assigned to the corresponding values, thus that is probably as correlated as the first option, unless I’m missing some subtlety - as shown bellow, clearly I am :slight_smile: )

1 Like
julia> using UnicodePlots

julia> function draw2(n)
                  if a >= b
                      b += 1
                  end
                  a, b
              end
draw2 (generic function with 1 method)

julia> histogram(reinterpret(Int,[draw2(3) for i = 1:100000]), nbins=3)
              β”Œ                                        ┐ 
   [1.0, 2.0) β”€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ– 33329                        
   [2.0, 3.0) β”€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  99623  
   [3.0, 4.0) β”€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–Ž 67048             
              β””                                        β”˜ 
                               Frequency                 
5 Likes

You’re drawing two numbers in 1:n, so basically drawing two coordinates for a square with side n. There are n*n possible combinations. You exclude pairs with equal numbers, so you’re basically excluding the diagonal. We’re in integers, there are n values on the diagonal of a total of n^2. So we have nΒ² - n valid values with equal distribution. As such, the chance for actually hitting the diagonal is n/nΒ² = 1/n. We can check this - for n=2, we exclude 2 elements on the diagonal out of a total nΒ² = 4. For n=3, we exclude 3 of 9, meaning our chance was 1/3. n=4 β†’ 4/16 β†’ 1/4 etc. This is the same chance as we get for having to draw any of the two a second time (since we have to draw at least one more time only if we hit the diagonal). As n grows, this quickly becomes very small. I’d be very surprised if any method would be faster than just picking again (though of course you can optimize this for e.g. n=2 directly by returning the only other option left) without acidentally biasing/correlating the distribution of the second number to with the distribution of the first more than necessary (i.e., more than only having n-1 possible values with equal chance).

You’re biasing b to be larger when a is larger than b, meaning the distribution of b is correlated to the distribution of a.

6 Likes

Almost :wink:

function draw2_(n)
    b += (b >= a)
    return a, b
end

1.7.0-rc3> histogram(reinterpret(Int,[draw2_(3) for i = 1:100000]), nbins=3)   
   [1.0, 2.0) β”€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  66720 
   [2.0, 3.0) β”€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–‰ 66607  
   [3.0, 4.0) β”€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–‰ 66673  
                               Frequency
6 Likes

Gotta love those UnicodePlots.jl-powered histograms :heart:

4 Likes

In case anyone doesn’t catch the subtlety: the code by @DNF does b += (b >= a), while the code by @lmiq does b += (a >= b). The former correctly shifts only the distribution of values of b greater than a upwards by one, avoiding a, while the latter incorrectly shifts all values lower than a, meaning another value one less than b can potentially hit a again.

4 Likes

It’s probably also useful to use explicit rng:

using Random
function draw2_(n, rng=MersenneTwister())
    a = rand(rng, 1:n)
    b = rand(rng, 1:n-1)
    b += (b >= a)
    return a, b
end

1.7.0-rc3> rng = MersenneTwister();

1.7.0-rc3> @btime draw2_(10, $rng)
  9.400 ns (0 allocations: 0 bytes)
(5, 10)

Edit: Oops, pasted wrong function definition.

I much prefer Xoshiro :wink:

julia> @benchmark draw2(10_000, rng) setup=(rng=Xoshiro())
BenchmarkTools.Trial: 10000 samples with 999 evaluations.
 Range (min … max):  7.970 ns … 33.074 ns  β”Š GC (min … max): 0.00% … 0.00%
 Time  (median):     8.002 ns              β”Š GC (median):    0.00%
 Time  (mean Β± Οƒ):   8.575 ns Β±  1.485 ns  β”Š GC (mean Β± Οƒ):  0.00% Β± 0.00%

β–ˆ  β–ƒ ▁▃  β–‚β–‚  β–„   ▁   β–†β–ƒ                                    ▁
  β–ˆβ–…β–ƒβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–…β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–…β–†β–ˆβ–„β–„β–„β–ˆβ–…β–„β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–†β–„β–„β–†β–†β–‡β–†β–†β–β–ƒβ–‡β–†β–…β–†β–…β–…β–„β–ƒβ–„β–„β–ƒβ–β–β–…β–…β–ƒβ–†β–„β–…β–„β–„β–„β–„β–ƒβ–… β–ˆ
  7.97 ns      Histogram: log(frequency) by time     12.6 ns <

Memory estimate: 0 bytes, allocs estimate: 0.

julia> @benchmark draw2(10_000, rng) setup=(rng=MersenneTwister())
BenchmarkTools.Trial: 10000 samples with 999 evaluations.
 Range (min … max):  11.104 ns … 49.395 ns  β”Š GC (min … max): 0.00% … 0.00%
 Time  (median):     11.607 ns              β”Š GC (median):    0.00%
 Time  (mean Β± Οƒ):   12.770 ns Β±  2.931 ns  β”Š GC (mean Β± Οƒ):  0.00% Β± 0.00%

β–ˆβ–ˆβ–‡β–…β–„β–ƒβ–‚β–ƒβ–‚β–‚β–„β–ƒβ–‚β–‚β–β–‚β–‚β–ƒβ–‚β–‚β–ƒβ–β–β–‚β–‚β–‚β–β– ▁                              β–‚
  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–‡β–ˆβ–‡β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–„β–„β–ƒβ–ƒβ–ƒβ–„β–β–β–ƒβ–β–„β–…β–†β–†β–†β–…β–†β–†β–‡β–‡ β–ˆ
  11.1 ns      Histogram: log(frequency) by time      26.1 ns <

Memory estimate: 17 bytes, allocs estimate: 0.

Brilliant and very cool. My interpretation was correct, the implementation was wrong :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, yes, I knew there was a better one, but forgot which it was.

Xoshiro will be the default in the (very soon) to be released 1.7 :slight_smile:

Still, from this matricial picture, it should be possible to call rand(1:n^2-n) and do an index transformation to obtain the two numbers. I don’t know if in any case the cost of those transformations pay off relative to a call to rand().

You’re more or less asking about converting a linear index to a cartesian one - and if I remember correctly, that involves a division + modulo, which is surely more expensive than a single rand and an addition. Additionally, simply excluding n values from the range is not sufficient - it matters which values you exclude.

1 Like

Yes, that. It is not completely evident that those index transformations are more expensive than a call to rand() though. (unfortunately to get the indexes right I would spend all day…). But a simple guess suggests that it might be something of the same order:

julia> function iter(n,draw)
           for i in 1:1000
               draw(n)
           end
           nothing
       end
iter (generic function with 1 method)

julia> function draw2(n)
           a = rand(1:n^2 - n)
           b = mod(a,n) + div(n^3,n) # <--- some random stuff
           if b >= a
               b += 1
           end
           a, b
       end

julia> @btime iter(3,$draw2)
  13.623 ΞΌs (0 allocations: 0 bytes)

julia> function draw3(n)
           if b >= a
               b += 1
           end
           a, b
       end

julia> @btime iter(3,$draw3)
  14.473 ΞΌs (0 allocations: 0 bytes)

If you provide the rng, it looks to me like divrem (which should be more or less the best case here) is definitely more expensive than rand:

function draw2_(n, rng=MersenneTwister())
    a = rand(rng, 1:n)
    b = rand(rng, 1:n-1)
    b += (b >= a)
    return a, b
end

function draw1(n, rng=Xoshiro())
    ab = rand(rng, 0:(n^2-n-1))
    (a, b) = divrem(ab, n)  # best case tranformation
    return a, b  # wrong answer!!
end

1.7.0-rc3> @btime draw2_(10_000, rng) setup=(rng=Xoshiro())
  8.000 ns (0 allocations: 0 bytes)
(7278, 3967)

1.7.0-rc3> @btime draw1(10_000, rng) setup=(rng=Xoshiro())
  12.412 ns (0 allocations: 0 bytes)
(2233, 4742)

Without the rng it is practically a β€˜draw’:

function draw2b(n)
    b += (b >= a)
    return a, b
end

1.7.0-rc3> @btime draw2b(10_000)
  12.412 ns (0 allocations: 0 bytes)
(2873, 7609)
1 Like

Here is a working one (it is more expensive - but I need to call rand(Bool) once, I don’t know if that is less expensive than a rand(Int), if not it does not make sense):

# get cartesian coordinates from linear index of upper triangular
julia> @inline function iuppert(k::Integer,n::Integer) 
         i = n - 1 - floor(Int,sqrt(-8*k + 4*n*(n-1) + 1)/2 - 0.5)
         j = k + i + ( (n-i+1)*(n-i) - n*(n-1) )Γ·2
         return i, j
       end
iuppert (generic function with 1 method)

julia> function draw4(n)
           ind = rand(1:(n^2-n)Γ·2)
           a, b = iuppert(ind,n)
           if rand(Bool) # need to allow lower triangular as well
               a, b = b, a
           end
           a, b
       end
draw4 (generic function with 1 method)

# seems correct:
julia> histogram(reinterpret(Int,[draw4(3)[2] for i = 1:100000]), nbins=3)
   [1.0, 2.0) β”€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–Œ 33053   
   [2.0, 3.0) β”€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  33503  
   [3.0, 4.0) β”€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–‰ 33444   

# but slower 
               draw(n)
           end
           nothing
       end

julia> @btime iter(3,$draw4)
  19.474 ΞΌs (0 allocations: 0 bytes)

julia> function draw2(n)
           if b >= a
               b += 1
           end
           a, b
       end

julia> @btime iter(3,$draw2)
  14.576 ΞΌs (0 allocations: 0 bytes)

Much as I love this relation after having derived it in a course ages ago, it is really just making a relatively simple problem way more complicated here. Try this implementation instead:

function draw5(n)
    ind = rand(0:(n * (n - 1) - 1))
    a, b = divrem(ind, n)
    a += (a >= b)
    return a + 1, b + 1
end
2 Likes

Great! And that is faster than calling rand() twice:

draw(n)
           end
           nothing
       end

julia> function draw5(n)
           ind = rand(0:(n * (n - 1) - 1))
           a, b = divrem(ind, n)
           a += (a >= b)
           return a + 1, b + 1
       end
draw5 (generic function with 1 method)

julia> @btime iter(3,$draw5)
  11.083 ΞΌs (0 allocations: 0 bytes)

julia> using UnicodePlots

julia> histogram(reinterpret(Int,[draw5(3) for i = 1:100000]), nbins=3)
   [1.0, 2.0) β”€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–Š 66522   
   [2.0, 3.0) β”€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–Š 66651   
   [3.0, 4.0) β”€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  66827  
                               Frequency                 

1 Like