Copy of postmortem for JuliaOptical

I ran across a JPL optics engineer’s explanation of why he’s giving up on his JuliaOptical project. I know there was a discussion about posting lists of gripes, but I don’t remember where that ended up and Jeff said in his talk that he likes complaints. Anyway, in case the user report is helpful to anybody, here it is:

Abandoned

This organization and its repositories have been abandoned. The About section below is left intact. The work was abandoned for the following reasons:

• Julia does not offer significant acceleration over the numpy code of prysm – only about 20%
  • writing performant julia is significantly more difficult than writing performant numpy. The base language emits unvectorized code which is slower than numpy, the @avx macro is unstable and often crashes the interpreter, the allocator is much slower than numpy or even matlab, and . and ! are quasi-white space symbols that are far too important to the performance of an algorithm. @. prefixes to a line are slower than hand placing the ., so that is not a solution
  • the language itself, as well as its tooling, is too immature, with poor documentation and many bugs or sharp edges
  • errors in Julia are severely cluttered by multiple line long type information which does not aid clarity

About

JuliaOptics is an organization to house a suite of libraries for physical optics in Julia. This suite has particular goals from the outset:

• To respect the prior art that exists in the enumerable physical optics codes written in matlab, python, and so on and learn from their API design.

• To provide a minimal API that is easy to learn with a reasonable balance between explicit and “fluent” design.

• To enable truly next generation computation in optics through automatic differentiation and other areas of significant development in Julia.

This provides a set of guiding performance marks:

• To be more than (5x required, 100x desired) faster than prysm, the fastest public physical optics code.

• To freely support computation on CPU or GPU

• To force as few allocations as possible, keeping GC time below 15% overall.

The goal at the outset is not to have all features, but to specialize in computational physical optics with emphasis on propagation from pupil to PSF or vice-versa, and between planes. A numerical model of propagation through a coronagraph (two plane to plane, then pupil => PSF => pupil => PSF) will demonstrate the performance efficacy (or lack thereof) of Julia for this domain.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this, but unfortunately we don’t know anything beyond what’s written and you’re not the original author. Some of the items we’re already well aware of (e.g., some long stack traces should get better in 1.6 with #36107), others are an example of mismatched expectations, and others would be nice to have reproducers of or more details. If you were the original author, I’d split this into multiple concrete threads where we could try to figure out, for example, where @avx is being crashy or see if the particular examples of long stack traces will be well-addressed in 1.6 or not, but without the original author we’re pretty much stuck.

Otherwise, this fits within the new “feedback splitting” policy, so I’ll close this instead of just spinning wheels here.

30 Likes

As described in the feedback splitting policy, if anyone does want to dig into any specific issue in more depth, please do feel free to start a new topic about that specific item, linking to this topic and quoting the part that you want to discuss.

9 Likes