Coordinating community efforts to enrich function docs

That said, documentation shouldn’t assume prior experience in other languages

As someone not coming from a C background I had stumbled onto the @sprintf documentation but have never used it simply because I have no idea how the formatting works. A link to somewhere explaining or an explanation of what “%0.5f” means (and the other syntax the macro takes) would be helpful here.

Quoting from the docstring of @printf

For a systematic specification of the format, see here.

Although I’d argue we shouldn’t use here links, so that’s another low-hanging fruit to take.

1 Like

Ah excellent! I never saw that link under the @printf docs instead of the @sprintf ones. Thank you!

While I wholeheartedly support and intend to contribute to this initiative to improve the reference documentation, I think that we first need to discuss what good reference documentation of a function should include, because I believe that consistency is very important there. Specifically, in your repo, you write:

What Does Good Documentation Look?

Non-exhaustively, it’s useful for a function to contain:

1. Description: A 1-3 sentence summary of what the function/method does.
  2. Usage: A theoretical call to the function/method with all arguments.
  3. Arguments: A list of all arguments, their types and their meaning.
  4. Returned Values: A list of all returned values, their types and their meaning.
  5. Details: More details about how the function/method works, how it should be called, how it is implemented, how its returned values are meant to be used, etc.
  6. References: Bibliographic information
  7. See Also: Other documentation sections that are relevant and text explaining their relationship to the current function/method.
  8. Examples: Specific examples that show what using the function/method in practice would look like.

As far as I can tell (almost) no function in the documentation right now satistfies these eight points. For example, let’s look at the reference for arguably the most used function: Base.:+.

Right now, it includes only the methods for dt::Date + t::Time -> DateTime and +(x, y...). It says nothing about +(x::T, y::T) where T<:Union{Int128, Int16, Int32, Int64, Int8, UInt128, UInt16, UInt32, UInt64, UInt8} which is probably the most used. More generally, very rarely the function documentation explicitly specifies the return type of the function or its meaning. And for a reason, since that would e.g. entail that all 100+ methods of + have to be mentioned.

What I want to say is this: let’s first discuss what a good reference would look like, with simple multimethod functions like + in mind. Then, a list of functions can be made whose docs are not up that standard. If you all agree with this, I would like to contribute to creating that list and writing the references (although my git skills are not so good).

5 Likes

(On the short term, we should probably not put the dt::Date + t::Time -> DateTime method of + as the first entry in the documentation of the maths section)