Code works when run as a file, but not from REPL

I have a small piece of code which works perfectly when run as julia tmp.jl and even as julia -e 'include("tmp.jl")', but not when I start julia and immediately type include("tmp.jl")! Neither it works if I just copy-paste the content of tmp.jl into fresh julia session.
Namely, it fails with ERROR: LoadError: StackOverflowError: without traceback. So I have no idea how to debug it further from the julia side.
The code uses ccall and @cfunction with $closures to call a C/Fortran library, so I inserted a bunch of prints there for debug. They indicate that the library fails to call a function passed from julia as @cfunction, and again not sure how to debug further.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a simple self-contained example now, as it uses both julia and c/fortran libraries.

0 Likes

At least show us the Julia code. Are you sure there is no recursive call?

0 Likes

Completely sure. The code in tmp.jl is very short and everything it does is calling a library:

using LibProcessTmp
run_process(
    callback = (a, b) -> a == b,
    settings = Settings(size = 2),
)

I don’t see anything here to behave differently when run as a file and from repl. Also note, that the execution certainly goes into the library, and even into the wrapped C library, because I inserted prints there. And @cfunctions I talk about are defined in the library, not even in this tmp.jl file.

0 Likes

Sounds a bit like Initialization of R fails on julia 1.1

0 Likes

Any idea how to debug this?

0 Likes