Category for ANN: publications

TLDR I want to know what my favorite package authors are writing up these days

Julia users are often working on new and exciting ways to apply computation to problems. Sometimes this stuff ends up as packages, and I enjoy skimming through the package announcements and seeing how people in the community are tackling problems, even if they are far away from my topic area. However, some projects may involve overly specific code, or code may not be publically released. In scientific computing and numerical analysis, many new results end up as a peer-reviewed journal or conference paper, and this is a very different kind of product than a package.

I’m still curious what people in the Julia community are up to, even if the code is not in a new package. Journal/conference papers give a very different view of code, often with field-specific context. And presumably, package authors are using their existing packages to learn new things – I’d love to hear about that!

There is the publications page, but I imagine there are more works published even by people on this Discourse than are listed on that page. Having the author of the work available in the thread might be useful, and it’d be comparable to attending talks that are outside of your subfield (with a great selection function: the set of authors who use Julia). Maybe having a Discourse category for this would be useful?

18 Likes

I would love to see peer-reviewed publications using Julia. Great idea.

I did not see a sub-category for this yet, so I thought to add my paper to this thread. I recently published my first paper made with 100% Julia (with exception of a few plots made with D3). I was previously a Python user but the mental overhead with Julia was just so much lower. I never looked back. Thanks to everyone in the Julia community for developing an amazing tool that helps researchers around the world.

If you are interested in the medical field, bacterial infections, and antibiotic resistance, you might like reading my new paper published in Open Forum Infectious Diseases: link here.

3 Likes

Maybe adding a subcategory of Community would be right for this

Similar to this topic, I’d love to see a sub-category of community specifically for publications or papers by Julia users. For a language that appeals to so many academics, I am surprised such a category doesn’t exist yet. The OP I referenced above makes some great points:

I love seeing how Julia is used in so many different domains, but without knowing a domain yourself, it’s likely that you only ever get to see the packages themselves, and not code written in them nor their outputs.

It’s a shame how the thread got so many hearts, only two replies, and was then forgotten about.

We do have a category that explicitly includes publications:

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 10.33.20 AM

Just because there exist some subcategories for some of those points does not mean that you need a subcategory to be on-topic within the overarching #community category. It’s also a non-exhaustive list — see the etc there.

In my experience, subcategories aren’t a “build it and they will come” sort of thing. In fact, I think having too many subcategories leads to the impression here — that you need a subcategory for your particular topic.

We just need to make sure that there is a category that can work for the content we want. Please do post in #community papers! If there are lots of such posts, we can create a subcategory.

3 Likes