Can't install Julia 5.0 via Git on Amazon EC2 instance

Here is the code I used. I am an on r3.8xlarge. This worked fine for v0.4.6 as well as for other versions. Can anybody help?

sudo yum install cmake.x86_64
sudo yum install gcc48-gfortran.x86_64
sudo yum install libgfortran.x86_64
cd ~
git clone https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia.git
cd julia
git checkout v0.5.0
make -j 32
~/julia/julia

Not without an error message. Try make -j1 after this happens, what do you see?

The build was exiting with error code 2, prior to which I was getting the error

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:108 (message):
  Could NOT find OpenSSL, try to set the path to OpenSSL root folder in the
  system variable OPENSSL_ROOT_DIR (missing: OPENSSL_LIBRARIES
  OPENSSL_INCLUDE_DIR)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:315 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindOpenSSL.cmake:313 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  CMakeLists.txt:277 (FIND_PACKAGE)

I suspected the problem was related to the following statement in the Linux Build Troubleshooting section of the installation page:

If LibGit2 configuration step reports CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.0/Modules/FindOpenSSL.cmake:294 (list): then the versions of OpenSSL and CMake are probably incompatible. The recommended solution is to upgrade the version of CMake to 3.1.2 or above.

I did upgrade cmake (to version 3.7.1) and the build still exits with error code 2 with the same problem with OpenSSL:

CMake Error at /usr/local/share/cmake-3.7/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:138 (message):
  OPENSSL_INCLUDE_DIR)
  /usr/local/share/cmake-3.7/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:378 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/local/share/cmake-3.7/Modules/FindOpenSSL.cmake:385 (find_package_handle_standard_args)

When I try make -j 1 I get a similar error:

CMake Error at /usr/local/share/cmake-3.7/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:138 (message):
  OPENSSL_INCLUDE_DIR)
  /usr/local/share/cmake-3.7/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:378 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/local/share/cmake-3.7/Modules/FindOpenSSL.cmake:385 (find_package_handle_standard_args)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/mwojnowicz/julia/deps/build/libgit2-211e117a0590583a720c53172406f34186c543bd/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/mwojnowicz/julia/deps/build/libgit2-211e117a0590583a720c53172406f34186c543bd/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
make[1]: *** [build/libgit2-211e117a0590583a720c53172406f34186c543bd/Makefile] Error 1
make: *** [julia-deps] Error 2

Do you have openssl-devel installed?

Thanks for your help. I guess not. I verified that I had installed everything listed in “Required Build Tools and External Libraries,” but did not see it there. I tried installing OpenSSL using

./config --prefix=/usr         \
         --openssldir=/etc/ssl \
         --libdir=lib          \
         shared                \
         zlib-dynamic &&
make depend           &&
make

which installs “openssl” at /usr/bin/openssl

make -j1 

produces the same error message. Attempting to comply with the error message, I did

sudo cmake -DOPENSSL_ROOT_DIR=/usr/bin/openssl

and got

CMake Error: The source directory "/home/mwojnowicz" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.
Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.

Isn’t there a package you can install with yum for openssl-dev?

Okay, yeah, I did

sudo yum install openssl-devel

and re-ran

make -j 1

and now things seem to be working. I did not realize that it doesn’t suffice to install openssl (Following the error message, I was just trying to install openssl), and that for this I would need openssl-devel so that the header files are available as well as the binary.

Thank you for your time. I’m sure some of this would have been obvious to many of you, but I’m a non-very-CS-savvy statistician.

BTW, Shouldn’t openssl-devel be added to the build dependencies?

If it’s not there, yes. Please feel free to file a Pull Request to the docs. For simple changes to the docs, it is easiest to navigate to the file in GitHub and click the “pencil” icon in the top right. This will allow you to edit the file and submit the Pull Request right in the browser.

Sure, will do. I’m at

https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia#Required-Build-Tools-External-Libraries

but don’t see a pencil in the top right. Should I be in a different place or do I need to login somewhere?

You need to navigate to the README file itself: