Book reviewer for "Applied Julia"

As I mentioned in my tweet, Lee Phillips is writing a book titled “Applied Julia” (working title):

Many of you may know him as the author of various Julia related articles on Ars Technica and LWN - most recently the article on what to expect in Julia 1.7. As the first few chapter drafts are ready, he is looking for someone knowledgable with Julia to help review the book and make it really good. Lee is a writer and programmer who has actually done scientific computing. I am looking forward to the book (but do not have the time to help review).

Please feel free to reach out to him directly if this interests you.

-viral

11 Likes

Thanks for that generous note, Viral. Here are the guidelines for technical reviewing from the publisher:

For technical reviewers, we pay $3 per printed page, and the reviewer's bio
will be printed in the book. Here's a list of what we expect: 

• Suggest content that should be included or removed.
  • Review the text for technical accuracy, noting errors or any content that
    you suspect may be incorrect.
  • Note explanations that are unclear, ambiguous, or incomplete.
  • Test all code and note any errors or omissions
  • Follow all instructions in the book, modifying code or performing
    operations as necessary, and note errors.
  • Track any changes that you make to the text.

As far as turn-around time, ideally it'd be around a week per chapter.
7 Likes

Just found out about this book. @LeePhillips are you still looking for technical reviewers?

1 Like

Would this @LeePhillips be the one of the gnuplot books? (Loved those!)

2 Likes

We’re set at the moment, but I’ll come knocking on your door if we need someone to fill in later. Thanks for your interest.

That’s me. Thanks for the love!

3 Likes

All good! The book’s content looks very exciting. Any predictions on when it’s coming out?

I guess we all know better than that. Does “as soon as possible” serve as a prediction?

Haha, fair enough.

Apparently May 2023:

Looking forward to this book.

6 Likes