Beginning programming in Julia (Stanford Summer School)

Hey folks, I’m thrilled to share I’ll be starting to teach a course on “beginning programming in Julia” this summer at Stanford through the division of continuing education. If all goes well, this course will be one of the cornerstones of Stanford’s new online programming curriculum.

The course is not yet available to sign up but I’ll share a link soon!

Course description:

With its ease of use and wide range of problem-solving capabilities, Julia has skyrocketed in popularity—making it one of today’s most sought-after programming languages. With the 1.0 release in 2018, Julia has been gaining large-scale adoption across industry, academia, and research for its ability to solve the two-language problem. High-level languages generally need to be faster for production workloads. Low-level languages take too much time to prototype solutions. Julia fixes this problem by being fast at runtime but also user-friendly. In this course, students will become familiar with the basics of programming, learn why Julia is well suited for many standard programming use cases, and understand how to develop Julia packages. Due to Julia’s ease of use, the line between users and developers is blurred. We intend to highlight that during this course by building a Julia package from scratch through hands-on lectures and take-home assignments. You will learn the ins and outs of the Julia community directly from speakers who helped create the ecosystem. Throughout this course, you will develop a fundamental understanding of programming in Julia, learn how to break down complex problems into basic programs, and build a portfolio of Julia code that uniquely differentiates you.

Students should be familiar with and comfortable using a computer but no prior programming knowledge is required.

8 Likes