Atom can't evaluate a line which the regular REPL can

Hello,

I encountered this error when using a registered Julia package called “Knet” yet I wasn’t sure whether to post it as an issue for Knet or ask it here. I eventually decided to ask about it here as the error was only reproducible in Atom but the code ran smoothly in the regular Julia REPL.

So here is the problem:

I am using a deep learning package called Knet. When I run the following code at the REPL I get the desired results and expected outputs:

julia> using Knet

julia> x = Param([1,2,3])
3-element Param{Array{Int64,1}}:

julia> y = @diff sum(abs2,x)
T(14)

julia> println(grad(y, x))
[2, 4, 6]

Param, @diff and grad are Knet functions. The documentation regarding them are as follows:

Param(x) returns a struct that acts like x but marks it as a parameter you want to compute
   gradients with respect to.

@diff expr evaluates an expression and returns a struct that contains its value (which should be
   a scalar) and gradient information.

grad(y, x) returns the gradient of y (output by @diff) with respect to any parameter x::Param,
   or nothing if the gradient is 0.

Yet when I try to run the same code line by line using Shift+Enter in Atom first two line run with no problem and the third line (namely y = @diff sum(abs2,x)) produces the following error:

Julia Client – Internal Error
MethodError: no method matching iterate(::AutoGrad.Node)
Closest candidates are:
  iterate(!Matched::Core.SimpleVector) at essentials.jl:578
  iterate(!Matched::Core.SimpleVector, !Matched::Any) at essentials.jl:578
  iterate(!Matched::ExponentialBackOff) at error.jl:171

What seems to be the problem here?

I would argue that this is a “bug” in AutoGrad.jl, because they introduce a typealias for Tape = IdDict{Value,Node} and overload iterate for that to return something different from a normal AbstractDict. Usually one would expect to get a key => value pair back, but iterate(::Tape, ...) only returns the value.

On the Juno side, the issue only appears since

was merged, because before that PR we would’ve just used the (working) show method for the Tape.

Can you check with AutoGrad commit 09d4dfd ? I redefined Tape for the next release and wanted to find out if it fixes your issue.