Atom 1.39 won't build julia-client

Please help. I’m in over my head here.

I completely uninstalled Atom, then reinstalled it… but I get the exact same error messages. Dead in the water.

I even tried Atom 1.38.2 with Julia-client 0.9.4 and Julia-client 0.8.12-beta2. Nothing worked. It seems npm is the problem.

I’m getting the same problem with Atom 1.40 (Windows 10).

C:\Users\Richard>apm install julia-client gives:

Installing julia-client to C:\Users\Richard.atom\packages failed

@pfitzseb/node-pty-prebuilt@0.8.1-prebuilt3 install C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Temp\apm-install-dir-119714-16820-1ytfkky.r1yj\node_modules\julia-client\node_modules@pfitzseb\node-pty-prebuilt
prebuild-install || node scripts/install.js

C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Temp\apm-install-dir-119714-16820-1ytfkky.r1yj\node_modules\julia-client\node_modules@pfitzseb\node-pty-prebuilt>if not defined npm_config_node_gyp (node “C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.40.0\resources\app\apm\node_modules\npm\node_modules\npm-lifecycle\node-gyp-bin\…..\node_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js” rebuild ) else (node “C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.40.0\resources\app\apm\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js” rebuild )

prebuild-install WARN install No prebuilt binaries found (target=3.1.10 runtime=node arch=x64 libc= platform=win32)
gyp ERR! configure error
gyp ERR! stack Error: Can’t find Python executable “python”, you can set the PYTHON env variable.
gyp ERR! stack at PythonFinder.failNoPython (C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.40.0\resources\app\apm\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\configure.js:492:19)
gyp ERR! stack at PythonFinder. (C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.40.0\resources\app\apm\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\configure.js:517:16)
gyp ERR! stack at C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.40.0\resources\app\apm\node_modules\npm\node_modules\graceful-fs\polyfills.js:284:29
gyp ERR! stack at FSReqWrap.oncomplete (fs.js:182:21)
gyp ERR! System Windows_NT 10.0.18362
gyp ERR! command “C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.40.0\resources\app\apm\bin\node.exe” “C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.40.0\resources\app\apm\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js” “rebuild”
gyp ERR! cwd C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Temp\apm-install-dir-119714-16820-1ytfkky.r1yj\node_modules\julia-client\node_modules@pfitzseb\node-pty-prebuilt
gyp ERR! node -v v10.2.1
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.7.0
gyp ERR! not ok
npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Temp\apm-install-dir-119714-16820-1ytfkky.r1yj\package.json’
npm WARN apm-install-dir-119714-16820-1ytfkky.r1yj No description
npm WARN apm-install-dir-119714-16820-1ytfkky.r1yj No repository field.
npm WARN apm-install-dir-119714-16820-1ytfkky.r1yj No README data
npm WARN apm-install-dir-119714-16820-1ytfkky.r1yj No license field.

npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! @pfitzseb/node-pty-prebuilt@0.8.1-prebuilt3 install: prebuild-install || node scripts/install.js
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the @pfitzseb/node-pty-prebuilt@0.8.1-prebuilt3 install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! C:\Users\Richard.atom.apm_logs\2019-08-14T20_46_55_510Z-debug.log

I finally got Julia-client installed successfully after I did the following:

1. vim /usr/local/bin/apm
  2. comment out export npm_config_python=“${binDir}/python-interceptor.sh”
  3. save the file
  4. in a terminal, type: apm config set python /path/to/python2.7

Looking forward to the bug fix!

1 Like

Pardon my beginner question, but where do I find vim /usr/local/bin/apm ? When I search it opens a command prompt file, but it does not include export npm_config_python="${binDir}/python-interceptor.sh".

Helgavon,

vim is a simple text editor. Use whichever text editor you like best to open the file /usr/local/bin/apm.

I encounter this problem right now with Atom 1.60

1 Like

Unfortunately it seems that Julia client installation has been broken for a while. While Juno is still officially in maintenance mode I believe, I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect much work to go into it in future - MS has decided to “sunset” Atom in about four weeks:

2 Likes

sigh, juno was excellent any way

1 Like

I see (Issues · JunoLab/Juno.jl · GitHub) that people are still trying to install and run Juno/Atom. Perhaps they’re following some older documentation or course material. Might be the excellent YouTube tutorials from the Dabbling Doggo. Or they visit the main page and see the message that effectively says"Juno/Atom is still maintained, although we’'ll only fix bugs".

Should that message should now be changed to communicate: “Juno/Atom is longer supported or maintained, and you shouldn’t try to install it on versions of Julia after 1.6…” or something similar. Add a bigger notice somewhere? A warning during the install? Remove from registry? I don’t know.

But Ii’s not good for new users, and a less than pleasant introduction to Julia for them, to spend hours trying to install a package that most likely can’t be used…

2 Likes

It’s unlikely I’ll spend any effort on getting Juno running on the latest Atom release, given that

• Atom package management will stop working

after the sunset, which will make the whole endeavour pointless. It’s probably easiest if users downgrade their Atom version, after which Juno installation should work fine (for the next few weeks, that is).

I’ll probably end up archiving the relevant repos after putting in a more obvious redirect pointing to the VS Code extension.

3 Likes