Any interest in a JavaScript to julia translating tool?

question
proposal

#1

Just wanted to see how much interest there is in having a tool for translating js to jl? Any old js projects you have been meaning to port to julia?

…in my case I once made a script to make a really rough translation. It served it’s purpose at the time but again recently I needed to do the same and I have no idea what I did with the old script so I started writing one again. If this is not a great need then I probably won’t put too much effort into it since I have other projects that need finished at work (and home). On the other hand, if this ends up being useful to others I can greatly improve the quality by using recursion, properly indenting the code to make it pretty and catch more translation errors.

DISCLAIMER: Good code is handwritten and not translated! If you use this tool, you must be prepared to do a lot of polishing and optimizing. Please do not use this tool if you are not going to do so :memo: as I do not want to be responsible for massive dumps of poor julia code :tornado::fire::comet:

If you want to have an idea of the potential for such a tool here’s a thrown together example.

Please don’t expect too much yet since it is just a test/example. I focused mostly on aspects of code that were present in my test code so there are most likely many details that still need fixed (for example: switch statements). So far, I’ve tested it out on a very limited number of js files and some translate better than others. The results range from quite good to sloppy.

Please let me know what you think.