[ANN] Rebugger: interactive debugging for Julia 0.7/1.0

setting breakpoints … how would it behave? when the program runs to a breakpoint, would it give a REPL? If so, what’s the difference with the “browser()” approach?

They’re both right, they just mean different things and have different implications. In particular, yes indeed you can just insert an error and do Meta-s. If that wasn’t obvious from Rebugger’s documentation, can I ask you to suggest a change that would make it so?

1 Like

A breakpoint isn’t really any different from throwing an error, since Rebugger can catch errors and give you something that simulates the local scope of the method.

Have you tried it in Rebugger? I think it will become pretty self-evident if you do. Just modify your function to throw an error and then use Meta-s.

thanks @tim.holy … but sadly I’m still waiting JuliaPro to release 0.7/1.0 … right now I’m using JuliaPro 0.6.3.1, which seems not able to use Rebugger?

Definitely not possible on 0.6. It doesn’t even fully work on 0.7, due to 0.7’s backwards-compatibility with deprecated functionality in 0.6. It works properly on 1.0, though (modulo bugs in Revise & Rebugger).

How it would work, is one thing. But my main concern is that I don’t want to insert debugging calls into the sourcecode.

2 Likes