[ANN] ProToPortal.jl: A Portal to the Efficient Coding On The Go and the Magic of PromptingTools.jl

:rocket: Introducing ProToPortal: A New LLM GUI for Julia Developers!

Hey everyone,

I’m excited to share a tool I’ve been developing to enhance my own productivity (with Julia but also in general) — ProToPortal! It’s a small project that has made a big difference in how I work, and I think it might help you too.

Key Features:

• Multi-Device Accessibility: Whether you’re on a laptop or phone, ProToPortal is designed to be at your fingertips, making coding and prompt management more seamless than ever. I can share a guide how to easily deploy your own on Fly.io.
  • Code Evaluation and Auto-Fixing: Say goodbye to repetitive copy-pasting! ProToPortal lets you evaluate and automatically fix Julia code directly within the UI.
  • Automated Replies: Reduce repetitive typing with automatic responses that handle common interactions for you, including some agentic “Critic” personas.

I built ProToPortal to solve my own hurdles, particularly when I’m away from my desk or on the go. It’s like having a glimpse of Jarvis!

But you can use it on your computer too! Just keep the tab open and ask any question you have - templates can save you a lot of time plus you can add your own.

Motivating scenario:

• Imagine you’re walking your dog and suddenly come up with a brilliant idea for a code snippet you need urgently.
  • Using ChatGPT on your phone is feasible, but slow and cumbersome—typing out or dictating a precise prompt can be a real hassle, not to mention you can’t close the app or run the code to see if it works.
  • Enter ProToPortal: Select the JuliaExpertAsk template, use speech-to-text on your phone to dictate your needs, enable auto-fixing with Monte-Carlo Tree Search (airetry!), and watch as your phone processes 6 iterations of the code before ChatGPT generates its first response!
    (Note: I use Groq with Llama70b - that’s why I get such blazing fast responses. You can try it for free with PromptingTools.jl)

Check it out and let me know what you think! Any feedback or contributions to improve the tool would be greatly appreciated.

GitHub Link: ProToPortal on GitHub

Note: expect bugs… I warned you :slight_smile:

Happy coding! :rocket:

Acknowledgements: This project would not be possible without the amazing Stipple.jl from the Genie.jl family! It’s just a Stipple.jl wrapper around PromptingTools.jl.

Yes, this has been generated in ProToPortal too…

9 Likes

Absolute banger, Jan :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I figured it’s hard to imagine, so I did two quick videos.

Conversation editing:

Code fixing:

(It’s a bit slower to start because of precompilation + each iteration actually generates multiple samples. That’s why the messages sometimes change, because MCTS chose a different trajectory to continue)

Here is the associated Forem post: ProToPortal: The Portal to the Magic of PromptingTools - Julia Community 🟣

3 Likes