[ANN] JuliaPhysics organization & logo contest

I really like the idea of Feynman diagrams! I remember it has also been put forth as a logo suggestion for Physics on Stack Exchange. But I feel like the suggested diagrams are kinda HEP-specific. I would prefer one that has only a single in- and out-going fermion line and maybe some self-energy diagrams too.

Anyway, here is my own attempt at getting rid of the Rutherford atom. :blush:

9 Likes

You need the Skarpinski Triheart:

(blame @ChrisRackauckas for the pun though…)

25 Likes

@StefanKarpinski does look pretty badass in that helmet :smile:.

Ironically, though physically self-energy diagrams are not in any way HEP specific, as a fields-of-study matter they are perhaps the most HEP specific :laughing:. (I’d be curious to know if they are used extensively in any other fields, there’s a good chance they are and I’m just not aware of it.) Not to be interpreted as an argument against a self-energy diagram as a logo.

2 Likes

Self-energies do find their way into the subfield of condensed matter physics that I work in, which is quantum transport. Whether or not you use a diagrammatic approach to finding the self-energy is a matter of taste and convenience, but it is a very important concept. :wink:

3 Likes

There seems to be large consensus on this logo (which reminds the quark structure of nucleons!), so I used it for the organization: https://github.com/JuliaPhysics Thanks @tamasgal!

4 Likes

I really like the logo! But to me, that is three point masses connected by springs. :smiley:

5 Likes

That’s another good physical interpretation :smiley:

2 Likes

Good choice. I was also thinking of it as having to do with springs. I was thinking of exercises in which you derive the modes of a coupled oscillator using its symmetry group. Whether it can be thought of as having anything to do with QCD is dubious (quarks within baryons are basically “free” due to confinement), but that’s fine: it’s unlikely that anyone will come along and say “that’s a real physical model of a baryon, that’s how it works!” whereas some people might have inferred that from the Rutherford model.

3 Likes

I feel honoured, many thanks :wink:

Here is the full package, containing also the vector formats, just in case you need it: http://tamasgal.com/downloads/JuliaPhysics.tar

3 Likes

Looking at JuliaPhysics/Measurements.jl really makes me wish I could go back to my graduate (or senior undergrad) lab course, have the time to really focus on the experiments, pick the most computationally intensive experiments and do a really good job using all Julia. I would prefer that to the most luxurious 3 month vacation I can think of.

If anyone here ever TA’s a grad lab, please tell your students about Julia.

It’s really a shame that usually when students (myself included) do their labs they have so many other obligations that the lab seems like a huge chore (I had to TA and of course take other classes when I did grad lab so it was not fun at all). It would be great if students were required to devote a summer semester or something entirely to the labs to really appreciate them.

This post has been extremely tangential, I’m just feeling so nostalgic right now.

3 Likes

1 Like

As there is no JuliaPhysics domain on Discourse yet, I hijack this thread for a package announcement that’s probably interesting only to fellow physicists:
ANN: WignerSymbols.jl
(I guess the name is self explanatory)

2 Likes

this thread is hilarious :mushroom:

3 Likes

@giordano I wanted to ask if we could also move https://github.com/KM3NeT/Corpuscles.jl into JuliaPhysics, that’s certainly a better namespace than our neutrino experiment since the package is quite general :wink:

2 Likes

Love the Corpuscles package. In my day we carried about a little book from the Particle Data Group with this information.
I see it is still available - now as a mobile phone app

1 Like

Yeah I have many of them :sweat_smile: they stopped printing them in 2014 or so… this is one of the last booklets I have:

Sure, I sent you an invite to the organisation

2 Likes

Thanks, I just moved to project :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has this logo been used yet? Looks like a good logo for JuliaSphericalCows organization (which is supposed to build spherical cow research tools).

4 Likes

One more image in the gallery, entitled “Newtonian Physics: Julia Under Pressure”:

11 Likes