Adding packages present in custom sysimage into environment when running with that sysimage

I have a sysimage (which happens to include Makie, GLMakie, CairoMakie and MakieCore) which was built in a (temporary) environment where the Makie packages were included via ]develop --local. When I start Julia using the sysimage, and activate a temporary environment it doesn’t appear to be possible to either add or dev the necessary packages so that they can be using’d or import-ed.

It seems like the 2 sane options would be to:

1. add a package from the appropriate branch of the repo (in this case, my fork), but this errors:
(jl_DnkKkw) pkg> add "git@github.com:pbouffard/Makie.jl.git"#scroll-to-pan
     Cloning git-repo `git@github.com:pbouffard/Makie.jl.git`
    Updating git-repo `git@github.com:pbouffard/Makie.jl.git`
ERROR: Tried to develop or add by URL package Makie [ee78f7c6-11fb-53f2-987a-cfe4a2b5a57a] which is already in the sysimage, use `Pkg.respect_sysimage_versions(false)` to disable this check.

or,

1. dev the local checkout of Makie, which also errors:
(jl_oS0vJP) pkg> dev --local /Users/patrick/dev/makiedev/dev/Makie
ERROR: Tried to develop or add by URL package Makie [ee78f7c6-11fb-53f2-987a-cfe4a2b5a57a] which is already in the sysimage, use `Pkg.respect_sysimage_versions(false)` to disable this check.

What does seem to work is to start Julia without a sysimage, create a new persistent environment, ]dev --local the packages into that environment, and then restart Julia with the sysimage.

I guess my question is, is it impossible to tell Pkg to add (or dev) any packages (modules?) that are included in a custom sysimage, when running with that sysimage itself? Or, is setting Pkg.respect_sysimage_versions(false) as the error messages suggests what I want?

More generally, what is the correct workflow for adding packages to an environment, when those packages are included in a sysimage?