A few installation issues on Ubuntu MATE 18.04

1. Downloaded installation file has .txt extension instead of .sh (this is probably Chrome or Ubuntu “assistance”).
  2. FAQ procedure for getting Julia Computing GPG public keys results in “keyserver retrieve failed: No data”.
  3. julia executable binary ends up in different directory than Quick Start Guide indicates.
  4. Trying to run it produces “exec format error”. Are the binaries 64-bit only? I’m trying it on 32-bit CPU.

Solution to this is already listed on JuliaPro FAQ, please search for following phrase on the FAQ page (I guess you’ve already done that, this is for other users who might end-up on this thread in future)

I downloaded JuliaPro for Linux, I got a file with extension .txt , how can I install JuliaPro using the .txt file?

Based on MIT PGP Key Server -- Frequently Asked Questions , this issue might occur if you’re behind a firewall that is blocking traffic (on port 11371) to the keyserver. Can you try following command instead and let us know if you succeeded in downloading the Public key?

gpg --keyserver hkp://pgp.mit.edu:80 --recv-key 0x09788F1E

Can you please elaborate on this, where did you expect the Julia binaries to be located? And where did you find them after installation?

Yes, all JuliaPro binaries (Mac, Linux, Windows) are 64 bit binaries, we don’t have JuliaPro binaries that’s compatible with 32 bit OS.

I am curious, is this an embedded system?

No, just an old laptop.

Re: 2

gpg --keyserver hkp://pgp.mit.edu:80 --recv-key 0x09788F1E 

fails with

gpg: WARNING: unsafe ownership on homedir '/home/paul/.gnupg'
gpg: keyserver receive failed: No data

Re: 3
Installing with:

./JuliaPro-0.6.2.2_build-314.sh /home/JuliaPro

puts executables in:

/home/JuliaPro/JuliaPro-0.6.2.2/Julia/bin/julia

but there is a shell script with the same name in

<juliapro>/JuliaPro-0.6.2.2/julia

so there is no problem here. My oversight.

Julia Computing GPG public key is now available on JuliaPro FAQ page , search for following question on the FAQ page to find the public key

Where can I find Julia Computing GPG public keys?
1 Like