2021 Recommended self-teaching Julia material depending on computing skills

Hallo I am promoting the Julia language in New-Zealand and I am often asked the question what are the best self-taught Julia material (e.g. Books; Webinar, Julia Tutorials) depending on the level of the student:

1. Never learned a computer language before;
  2. Has knowledge of computer language e.g. R, Python, Fortran
  3. Knowledge of basic Julia programme language but would like to enhance computer skills.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

9 Likes

The Julia docs are pretty decent for 2.

4 Likes

I recommend the book Think Julia for all people, the difference is that

• For someone in 2 or 3, he/she probably only need to spend 1 or 2 days on the book,
  • While a person in 1 might need 1 or 2 weeks.

A free online version is here.

6 Likes

Just to add to this. I think I’d be between 2 and 3, since Julia is my first “real” language. What I’d like to learn better is modules, packages (really code organization), and parallel computation. I think most people coming to Julia from other disciplines would be located at that same place. They probably have used some kind of statistical software before and are interested in the speed and programming easiness of Julia. In addition, a good tutorial on debugging (stepping into functions, etc) is also very helpful.

@Wei_Yang can Think Julia help in this case?

2 Likes

Maybe Chapter 14 Files and Chapter 21 : Debugging will be useful.

And there is also a free book Statistics with Julia:
Fundamentals for Data Science, Machine
Learning and Artificial Intelligence.

4 Likes

For 1, check out: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP8iPy9hna6Qpx0MgGyElJ5qFlaIXYf1R (Julia programming for Nervous Beginners).

2 Likes

Along the line of Youtube videos, I like julia for talented amateurs

3 Likes

My preferred text book suitable for Beginners and Intermedia programmers is the excellent book:

The Julia Language Handbook by George Root (English Edition) The Julia Language Handbook by George Root

1 Like
1 Like

Ideally this link should be updated & be the first thing we look @ for this kind of q

2 Likes

A simple assignment/project which is interesting/valuable to the student. I’ve learned Java because I wanted to make a tool for my mother. She never really used it and managed to break any of my assumptions, but I enjoyed making it. I can’t imagine that I would have enjoyed reading a book on Java development.

3 Likes

For 2 I recommend my intensive tutorial: Zero2Hero intensive Julia workshop - YouTube

2 Likes

Designed for intermediate users:
https://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/julia/

Shameless plug for https://julia.quantecon.org/index_toc.html

First 1/2 is about Julia and the math tools needed for economics (that are very transferable to other fields). Second half has applications to economics.

Great resource if you already know Python as there is a Python version of the resources so you can pull both up and use as a cross reference

4 Likes

I am surely biased, but my book Julia Quick Syntax Reference, Apress (2019) is quite concise but accessible, and it gives an overview on both the language and the main packages.

I can’t post the pdf… but you can easily find it in well-known sites…

4 Likes

@sylvaticus if you have not purchased the book Julia Quick Syntax Reference you are missing on a lot, it is an excellent book to have handy and we are looking forward for the next version.

@logankilpatrick, why doesn’t Dr. Henri Laurie introduce himself in his lectures of Julia programming for Nervous Beginners? So as not to stress them further?

Thank you :slight_smile:

(I am not sure it is sure, I am the author of that book…)

BDW if someone likes the book, would be nice to have a review on Amazon… currently the only review is a guy that left one star… because Kindle doesn’t work on his Mac :-/ :-/ :-/ (that obviously has nothing to do with the book itself)

1 Like

“with very few exceptions” hahaha…

It’s a great book, practical and extremely helpful to me, thanks @sylvaticus.
I bought the printed version directly from APress, so no Amazon review.

2 Likes