10 Years of JuliaLang

Today is the 10 year anniversary of the “Why we created Julia” blog post which was the first public announcement for the language. To celebrate, we just published a set of stories from our community, reflecting on the past 10 years: Why We Use Julia, 10 Years Later

Personally, I’m extremely grateful for being a part of this community, and these stories here reiterate how much julialang means to all of us. #julialang10years

Regards

Avik

PS: If you would like to your reminiscences to this, please make a PR on the website repo.

144 Likes

It is amazing to read about everyone’s own journey that got them into the Julia community. I am glad this blog post was created!

If you want to celebrate and pick up the 10th-anniversary t-shirt, head to: 10 Years of Julia Shirt | Bonfire

17 Likes

Quoting the boss: We’re a bunch of people who believe that you can have your cake and eat it too.

21 Likes

Great job Avik (and the rest of the Julia team)!

I’m not sure what you mean by “PR” but I did star it.

Let’s make a toast for yet another 10 years (at least) of this excellent project!

Best,

Zacharias Voulgaris

PS - In the new book I’m authoring these days I’m using Julia exclusively.

2 Likes

@avik Congratulations to all Julia creators, contributors and developers - it’s been quite an awesome ride so far, looking forward to Julia’s bright future!

Quick question, as I’m a bit puzzled by the various Julia metrics that have been recently published. This post mentions “hundreds of thousands of people”, “hundreds of universities” and “entire companies”. At the same time, the recent post from Menlo Ventures mentions “~ 1M worldwide developers” and “1,500 universities” (Why Menlo Ventures Invested in Julia Computing | by Tim Tully | Medium)

Can this be clarified/updated? I get asked a lot about Julia’s growth (as a decision factor for adoption) and I’m sure it would help many of us to have a clear set of metrics, especially when promoting Julia.

8 Likes

Lots of nice sentiment on there. I started tinkering with Julia in 2016 – I feel like a newbie!

2 Likes