1.0 Feature Freeze Dec 15th

I blindly trust the ultimate power deadline brings :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Bug fixes are categorically different than API changes. Many old issues are already irrelevant but remain open simply because going through issues and checking whether the issue still applies is itself work. If you want to contribute without programming, you could go through that backlog of open issues and see if they are in fact still relevant. Issues that old tend to be in one of two categories:

1. No longer applicable/relevant/already fixed.
  2. Not important enough to have been fixed in the intervening time.

Of course, you could argue that this is a tautological claim :grin:

3 Likes

I’m concerned with API changes. For example, once Pkg3 lands and lots of people start using it, it seems likely that some desirable API changes or features will become apparent for the new package system. Once #24362 hits, we may want to re-think several APIs. And so on. I don’t understand setting a feature freeze for so soon when major changes have yet to land …

Not to mention that it is really hard to do feature changes now since CI is broken, and Nanosoldier is broken, so the deadline is especially hard to meet.

9 Likes

Right, I was replying to @111, I understand that your concerns are not about bug fixes. I agree that it’s an aggressive timeline and perhaps we’ll need to push it back, but as many things were getting added every week to the milestone as were getting removed, so it’s really time to make a push for closing issues. The CI situation is very bad, which may force a delay here. In the meantime, I’m working on string changes and getting Pkg3 integrated, which may indeed have some fallout.

9 Likes

I looked at 12198 and realized that maybe link to 10 issue with milestone:1.0 which are unassigned and created before 2016-12-31 could help here :slight_smile:

I’m afraid those are pretty non-trivial. Lack of assignment to a person here probably means a core dev will take care of them or they’re already planned to be addressed somehow. The “help wanted” issues for 1.0 would be a better place to look, especially if any of them are also “good first issue”.

1 Like

Today’s the day…

For those last changes, what’s the right approach here? CI is pretty jammed, and some late-breaking changes may benefit from a last review. OTOH we don’t want to prolong any more than absolutely necessary, since otherwise changes will keep dribbling in.

The general consensus is to give it a few extra days to get in the things that are pending (esp because CI has been backed up and Jeff has been on vacation). However, new things proposed after today that aren’t already there in PR form are probably unlikely to make it.

5 Likes

Is it possible to get people some educated guess (I don’t ask any promises :slight_smile: ) when we could see next milestones(list of accepted features, alpha, beta, …) ?

Many people are feverishly working on polishing the edges of the features that made it in and making sure to finish up the PRs that are still pending. In terms of accepted features, I think you can look at the PRs that are up to see what is still actively being worked on. I think it’s fair that anything not currently on that list is out. The next step on the release timeline is an alpha. I can’t give you an exact timing on that, but I suspect the work remaining will be discussed on the triage call today, and I suspect the conclusion will be that we need another week or two of cleanup before we want to tell package authors to start looking at this in earnest. There’ll be announcements on here as soon as the alpha comes out of course.

10 Likes

Thanks for prompt answer! :slight_smile:

Please don’t work too much! :smiley: It could be better for you, for us and for Julia too!

This is roughly the list of things that might change in the next few days. We’re probably going to make some “no go” decisions today on the weekly triage call. I’m also working on changes to code loading to integrate Pkg3 into Base Julia. Fortunately, I figured out a largely backwards-compatible way to go about that.

4 Likes

Sorry that I am confused, but can someone please clarify if the feature freeze happened?

2 Likes

Yes in the sense that we won’t take things that are not currently on the milestone or in active PRs. No in the sense that we are still finishing those up a few PRs before we’re putting out the alpha.

5 Likes