0.6 release timeline

I appreciate the continued effort by the release team on polishing up 0.6! It seems to be very close now.

Is there a revised timeline for the releases of 0.6 and 1.0? I guess that 1.0 by JuliaCon this year is no longer realistic.

There are zero (0) issues with the 0.6 milestone left. Does this mean, that 0.6 beta will be released soon?

2 Likes

afaiu the issue counter reached 0 only some hours ago. I’d guess there is some heavy testing in the background right now. But yeah, soon!

2 Likes

Julia 0.6 is already in the beta phase; the current version is 0.6.0-pre.beta. Next will be release candidates, which I imagine (with no data to support this–just a guess) that a first RC will be released within the next week or two.

I’m shure that in the next few days we will see the so awaited 0.6 RC

If I want to test, which tag should I compile? Or should I still go with master?

Is the current plan for Julia 0.6 to become Julia 1.0? Or are there plans for major changes between the two?

This got tagged earlier today–
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/tree/release-0.6

2 Likes

Please note that it’s a branch, not a tag (that should be named v0.6.0). This subtle difference means that julia 0.6 is not completely finished, but hopefully very close.

2 Likes

I just wanted to test some behavior in something more recent than pre-beta, but I guess I will just stick to the latest on that branch.

The plan that I understood was that there are changes/enhancements planned for v1.0, just like between v0.5 and v0.6, but there won’t be any other major releases before v1.0 (excepting v0.7 for development/a crutch to handle depredations/breaking changes that make there way into v1.0).

I would be interested in an update on whether 0.6 → 1.0 is feasible. There are an awful lot of issues in the 1.0 milestones. Besides, I thought there was going to be a proper beta release? (though perhaps that will just be called 1.0-beta)

It will be 0.6 to 0.7 to 1.0, but 1.0 will not introduce any new features over 0.7, only remove deprecations.

1 Like

What is the plan for the bugs in the 0.5.x milestone?
There are 77 currently open.

I doubt we are going to see a 0.5.2 ever.
So I had been assuming these would be in 0.6.

Was that assumption correct?

Is the 0.5.x bugs now the largest thing blocking a 0.6 (non-beta) release?

Or are they going to be blocking for 0.7, or 1.0?
Or are they going to be slowly patched sooner or later, and any that are serious enough to be blocking are already fixed?

But still a good question. BTW, the PR for v0.6:

1 Like

v0.5.2 and v0.6.0-rc1 are already tagged https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/tags

3 Likes

If you want to try the rc now, you can install it separately from JuliaPro and point to it in the Juno settings.

1 Like

Kudos to all the people who’ve made v0.6.0-rc1 possible!
It’s 3 months later than the original timeline, but I think it was very much time well spent.
Now it’s up to us to get all the packages updated to work on v0.6 without any deprecations in time for JuliaCon 2017!

8 Likes

When is v0.6 coming out officially? I see that nightly is already referring to v0.7 in Travis CI builds, but we only have a release candidate for v0.6.

1 Like

Yes, point stands, I doubt we will see a 0.5.x with all 77 of those bugs fixed.

So what is the plan for the 0.5.x milestone?