Wrong dictionary key type does not give type error

Shouldn’t the example give a type error instead of key not found error ??

julia> d=Dict{Tuple{Int,Int}, Int}()
Dict{Tuple{Int64,Int64},Int64} with 0 entries

julia> d[(1,1)] = 5

julia> d[(1,1)]

julia> d[1]
ERROR: KeyError: key 1 not found
Stacktrace:
 [1] getindex(::Dict{Tuple{Int64,Int64},Int64}, ::Int64) at .\dict.jl:478
 [2] top-level scope at none:0

julia> 

I doubt the getindex method for a dictionary is specialized on the key type. If you do d[1] = 5 I bet you get a TypeError.

you are correct sir ! :slight_smile:

julia> d[1] = 5
ERROR: MethodError: Cannot `convert` an object of type Int64 to an object of type Tuple{Int64,Int64}
Closest candidates are:
  convert(::Type{T<:Tuple{Any,Vararg{Any,N} where N}}, ::T<:Tuple{Any,Vararg{Any,N} where N}) where T<:Tuple{Any,Vararg{Any,N} where N} at essentials.jl:274
  convert(::Type{T<:Tuple{Any,Vararg{Any,N} where N}}, ::Tuple{Any,Vararg{Any,N} where N}) where T<:Tuple{Any,Vararg{Any,N} where N} at essentials.jl:275
  convert(::Type{T<:Tuple}, ::CartesianIndex) where T<:Tuple at multidimensional.jl:130
Stacktrace:
 [1] setindex!(::Dict{Tuple{Int64,Int64},Int64}, ::Int64, ::Int64) at ./dict.jl:373
 [2] top-level scope at none:0

That certainly appears to be the case, and you seem to expect that. Why wouldn’t it be ?

I am not sure about this:

help?> TypeError
search: TypeError

TypeError(func::Symbol, context::AbstractString, expected::Type, got)

A type assertion failure, or calling an intrinsic function with an incorrect argument type.

I see neither here.

Good point - I was definitely conflating this specific MethodError with a TypeError - this inability to convert the type is the one I was expecting.

I’m just trying to imagine what the method signature would have to be in order to have it specialize in the type. Sure it could be done, but it seems more complicated than it’s worth for something that’s going to end at an error in either case. Then again, I’m no expert, so maybe it’s easier than I imagine (but I still don’t really see the benefit).

julia> struct Five end;
julia> Base.isequal(::Five, ::Five)=true;
julia> Base.isequal(::Five, x)= isequal(x, 5);
julia> Base.isequal(x, ::Five)= isequal(x, 5);
julia> Base.hash(::Five, h::UInt)=Base.hash(5, h)

julia> d=Dict(1=>2, 5=>3);
julia> d[Five()]
julia> d[Five()]=1
ERROR: MethodError: Cannot `convert` an object of type Five to an object of type Int64