Workflow and environments question

I’m working alone on a decently sized Julia project (or at least it’s decent size for me) and find myself working on different (and unrelated) areas of the project concurrently.

I’m already using Git (for various reasons) but I’m wondering if it makes sense to have multiple repo clones (checked out in different folders of my dev machine) to separate work on different functionalities, or if there’s any other way that would be more standard and efficient?

I like to use Git worktree for this reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uEqYw-N8uE

I also don’t see a major problem with having multiple clones (I’ve done that before too in the past).

Thank you will look into that feature.

Any reason why branches are not enough?

2 Likes

That depends on the level of concurrency. If you for whatever reason need to work actively in two different branches, it’s quite annoying to switch back and forth between them and possibly stashing or making work in progress commits frequently. It’s even more annoying if you are in a situation where you want to benefit from a REPL session with Revise but have to restart every time you switch branches.

It doesn’t happen to me often but when it does I make a temporary repo clone for development of one of the branches.

2 Likes