Why Julia is very often related to a data science / economics language only?

Well, that was also my impression from early on, version 0.4 era, but made for/emphasizing (until recently) “technical computing” didn’t help. I must admit, while I’ve learned a lot from the community here (application to science), it can be intimidating (making you think only for the original target audience, and you not measuring up to people here), even you with your satellite/AOCS code not helping for the perception of the language/ecosystem as specialized.*

I’m pretty optimistic for the future of Julia, including for general purpose, with Julia taught all over, not just in Brazil as you know, but south of the southernmost capital in the world, and northern of the northernmost.

I’ve been advocating Julia since I learned about the language, and even pushing for it as the first language to my former professors. I think that would change things quickly (and I think the book on Julia by 15-year old Tanmay will help, even for more high schools teaching Julia), so far Julia is taught mostly in engineering departments, not just for linear algebra.

I know people use Julia in Trondheim, Norway in the Department of Engineering Cybernetics, i.e. students there, or the two I know learning robotics there, but actually in the algorithmics course (I believe taught by or shared with the CompSci department).

[I’m going to make a PR for the Julialang.org website for that course/University.]

I even now noticed from the list that Julia is already, or at least was, taught in one high school (also Norway), and I looked it up, it very near the north pole, way more north of all of Iceland where I live, let alone our Reykjavík, the world’s most northernmost capital, which happens to be located in the south of our country.

Hadsel High School, Stokmarknes, Nordland, Norway
AnsattOversikt, [REA3034] Programmering og modellering (Programming and modeling with Julia and Snap), 2018 / 19 (High school lecturer Olav A Marschall, M.sc. Computer Science)

I’m not sure, but the above seems to refer to (so not used together with Julia):

Those two classes are a step in the right direction, while not obvious to all (those) students, e.g. those two I know that learned Python first, and both him and her had not programmed before before the University. I’ve seen in another Julia thread there’s some (understandable) opposition by students to have to learn yet another language…

@lawless-m FYI:

* That’s also an example of a bit intimidating ecosystem/hobby project:

1 Like