Why Julia - A Manifesto

Very cool, I actually need something like this to explain why Julia is worth it at a meeting :slight_smile:

This is something I think it could be improved:

For 5th section:

Julia is ahead of Pytorch

Pytorch is very advanced and on Discourse there are a lot of discussions where people advice to still use Pytorch for traditional workflows. So I wouldn’t say so. Maybe more that it is keeping up with it for traditional workflows and has advantages when you want to do something custom like writing a kernel yourself. See Is it a good time for a PyTorch developer to move to Julia? If so, Flux? Knet?

For 6th section:

Julia is written in Julia

This is more of a title issue than anything else since on the text you don’t mention that the compiler is written in itself, but the title hints at this from a user perspective. Consider that most of Julia is written in Julia, but there is a lot of C and other languages in the main repository. To be honest, also CPython is written mostly in CPython if you look at the composition of programming languages used in it. But surely Julia has standard libraries + Base written entirely in Julia, which is cool. See How is Julia written in Julia?

5 Likes