Why does `sqrt` behaves differently than `√`?

Despite being equal, they behave differently:

julia> sqrt.([4, 9])
2-element Vector{Float64}:

julia> sqrt == √
true

julia> √.([4, 9])
ERROR: syntax: invalid identifier name "."
Stacktrace:
 [1] top-level scope
   @ none:1
2 Likes

This is just a parsing thing. You want

julia> (√).([4, 9])
8 Likes

Then where can I read Julia’s parsing implementation? I looked around in julia/src/ast.c but I’m not familiar with this part of code and can not find the precise location which is in cause.

I couldn’t tell you the cause either. But I do know that for unary or binary operators, to broadcast them you generally need to wrap them in parentheses.

2 Likes

The actual parser is here: julia/julia-parser.scm at master · JuliaLang/julia · GitHub

2 Likes

Yeah, strangely with infix operators the . goes in front of the operator:

julia> .√([4, 9])

It’s like the binary .+ and .*. That said, given that this is a syntax error… I wonder if we couldn’t support either placement.

7 Likes

I think the ship has sailed on that. After 1.6, .+ and .* are defined as Base.Broadcast.BroadcastFunction(+). Actually so is square root

julia> .√
Base.Broadcast.BroadcastFunction(sqrt)

I don’t see why that changes anything. .√([3,4]) doesn’t actually create a BroadcastFunction. I’m just saying maybe we could also support √.([3,4]) like a normal function named ?

3 Likes

Just to be clear, the reason they behave differently is that sqrt is an ordinary function name while is a unary operator.

That means, for example, that you can apply without parentheses:

julia> √2

and like all operators in Julia it is “vectorized” by putting a . before the operator (a convention adopted from Matlab):

julia> .√[4,9]

I agree with @mbauman that, if you use a binary/unary operator OP with parens, as OP(...), then it would not be crazy to allow OP.(...) as an alternative vectorization syntax similar to ordinary functions. This doesn’t seem like it would be breaking since it is currently a syntax error.

16 Likes