What exactly does `ENV["LINES"]` control?

I’m interested in adjusting the number of DataFrame rows which are automatically displayed in the REPL, and according to some posts I’ve read on SO, it seems that changing the value of ENV["LINES"] is one way to do this. I figured this would set the maximum number of rows that can be displayed, but even when I set ENV["LINES"] to a value much larger than the number of rows (50) in my DataFrame, it still omits 33 rows…so what exactly is ENV["LINES"] controlling? (And how does one set the maximum number of rows that can be displayed?)

From here, does that help you?

Edit:

displayed in the REPL

Sorry, just realised you’re talking about the REPL instead of a jupyter notebook.

1 Like

So to display all rows of a DataFrame in the REPL you can do the following:

show(df, allrows = true)

There are other options available for show. Run ?show in the REPL (after loading DataFrames via using DataFrames) to see them.

3 Likes

Thanks, this is useful. Though ideally I’d like to change the default setting so that I can display, for example, a maximum of 20 rows every time I print a DataFrame to the REPL (i.e. without having to explicitly call a function like show() each time). Is there a way to do this?

Maybe but not that I know of because I don’t use the REPL for viewing or analysing data except for a quick glance via describe or similar actions. Maybe others can tell you how to do this but I personally would recommend that you look into other tools that can help you analyse your datasets more easily and also interactively.

The same question was discussed a few weeks ago here: Configure DataFrame show