Video about Mapping Data to Color Using Array Attributes in Makie

Thanks for the comment and suggestion! I absolutely love the potential of AlgebraOfGraphics(AOG) and meant to talk about in the video, but the video got too long and I omitted this discussion.

My biggest problem with AOG is that it is not a complete graphical system compared to something like ggplot2 in R. So what ends up happening for me when I want to customize a plot, I need to use a lot of Makie syntax and the combination of Makie + AOG syntax ends up like some kind of Frankenstein’s monster. See this discussion for example: Replacing only the data layer of points in a Makie figure with protrusions

So if I go into a plotting objective and there is a chance I might want to customize things, I stay in pure Makie. If I am doing some exploratory analysis and am less concerned about final formatting, then AOG is really cool and helpful. If I am learning a viz system in Julia for the first time, mastering the main components of Makie (e.g. figure, axis, plot, plotting functions(scatterplot, lines,barpot), legend, colorbar) should come first as AOG is incomplete and hence, that is why I currently focused my lesson on learning to manually do the mappings in Makie.

2 Likes