Using MATLAB Package with R2022b and R2021b downloaded

What does this print?

otool -L /Applications/MATLAB_R2021b.app/bin/maci64/libmx.dylib

I would need to install developer tools to run that command line, which I don’t want to do at the moment since I don’t need them for anything.

Sorry, since you posted the error message I thought that you’re interested in finding out the error’s origin.

And I’m almost certain, but others may confirm/not, that otool is a MacOS command.

I’m interested in solving the problem, but not in adding stuff to my computer that I won’t use.

Unfortunately, it must not be the case because it did not allow me to use the command without adding developer tools.

So is this essentially an unsolvable problem? An edit would need to be made on the MATLAB.jl side to handle this issue on Mac? That is a real shame as I was really hoping to have this package available as I make my transition to Julia, but I understand if it’s impossible to fix.

macOS doesn’t come with all the software to do command line development. Xcode command line tools contains basics like git, make, compilers, etc. if you do anything in the command line, you’ll probably eventually need these basic tools.

That’s the thing, I don’t do anything in the command line. I honestly don’t remember the last time I even opened my terminal before asked in this post. There’s no reason for me to add those things.

I see there is a very similar issue reported at the MATLAB.jl repo

My best guess is that you are using a newer Apple silicon Mac? So you would have downloaded the Julia version under macOS ARM (M-series Processor) from the downloads page?

Would you be willing try to use the macOS x86 (Intel or Rosetta) version of Julia instead? (More info about Rosetta here.) This may work based on experience in this issue.

I realized I never accepted this, sorry for the late reply. This was indeed the issue. It turns out many other packages I was previously unable to use begin working as well. There are definitely some issues with the Apple silicon version.

1 Like