Using Distributed.jl from within Weave.jl?

I’m using Distributed from within my Weave.jl document because I have a machine which has a big store of data, and I’m asking it to process that data and return me some summary/filtered version of it.

When I select bits of the code and run it in vscode it works just fine. When I run it as weave(“myfile.jmd”) I get an error like:

ERROR: On worker 2:
UndefVarError: ##WeaveSandBox#312 not defined
Stacktrace:
  [1] deserialize_module
    @ /var/local/dlakelan/julia/julia-1.8.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.8/Serialization/src/Serialization.jl:996
  [2] handle_deserialize
    @ /var/local/dlakelan/julia/julia-1.8.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.8/Serialization/src/Serialization.jl:895
  [3] deserialize
    @ /var/local/dlakelan/julia/julia-1.8.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.8/Serialization/src/Serialization.jl:813
  [4] deserialize_datatype
    @ /var/local/dlakelan/julia/julia-1.8.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.8/Serialization/src/Serialization.jl:1363
  [5] handle_deserialize
    @ /var/local/dlakelan/julia/julia-1.8.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.8/Serialization/src/Serialization.jl:866

Which suggests that something is happening on the remote machine that doesn’t make sense because of Weave.

Is there an approved way to use Distributed.jl from within Weave?

Do you have a MWE? So that we can test. It looks like the only place where WeaveSandBox is defined is here. The comment above reads

# New sandbox for each document with args exposed
    isnothing(mod) && (mod = sandbox = Core.eval(Main, :(module $(gensym(:WeaveSandBox)) end))::Module)

Which makes me think that the error is because the environment that your document is tried to run (##WeaveSandBox#312) does not exist on the other machine.

I can try to put together a MWE tomorrow but I’m guessing just the slightest use of @spawnat to do anything much is going to cause this. Like tell it to spawnat another machine and generate a random vector or read a csv file or something… Am not at my machine so will have to get you something tomorrow.

Ok, @suavesito here’s my MWE, put this in test.jmd edit the machines and paths to work with your machine/setup, and try to weave it

# Testing

```julia

using Distributed 
rmprocs.(workers())
censproc = addprocs(["mydevice.lan"]; dir = "/var/tmp/test/", exename="/home/dlakelan/julia/bin/julia")

@everywhere using Pkg
@everywhere Pkg.activate(".")

@everywhere using StatsPlots, DataFrames, DataFramesMeta, FredData, Dates, GLM, StatsBase,
    FredData, CSV, Serialization, Downloads, Interpolations, Optim, Turing, LinearAlgebra, CategoricalArrays, ReverseDiff, Memoization

Distributed.remotecall_eval(Main, workers(), :(include("./utilities.jl")))
include("./utilities.jl")

f = @spawnat censproc[1] rand(200) 
fetch(f)

```

What did we get?

This results in:

ERROR: On worker 4:
UndefVarError: ##WeaveSandBox#488 not defined
Stacktrace:
  [1] deserialize_module
    @ /var/local/dlakelan/julia/julia-1.8.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.8/Serialization/src/Serialization.jl:996
  [2] handle_deserialize
    @ /var/local/dlakelan/julia/julia-1.8.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.8/Serialization/src/Serialization.jl:895
  [3] deserialize
    @ /var/local/dlakelan/julia/julia-1.8.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.8/Serialization/src/Serialization.jl:813
  [4] deserialize_datatype
    @ /var/local/dlakelan/julia/julia-1.8.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.8/Serialization/src/Serialization.jl:1363
  [5] handle_deserialize
    @ /var/local/dlakelan/julia/julia-1.8.0/share/julia/stdlib/v1.8/Serialization/src/Serialization.jl:866
  [6] deserialize
  [7] handle_deserialize