Understanding Our Contributors - NumFOCUS survey - We Value your Input

Hey folks!

The Julia Language Project is participating in a research project being conducted by NumFOCUS, our fiscal sponsorship organization. The research is looking into understanding the diversity, inclusion and barriers to participation within NumFOCUS-sponsored projects and the wider open source community. This survey is intended for “contributors” which is a notoriously hard thing to define. If you write and share Julia code, spend time on Discourse, you are a contributor and this survey is for you!

The survey will take 15-20 min to complete. We’d appreciate your contribution by May 31, 2021.

The results of this survey will help NumFOCUS work closely with our projects to develop practices that will lead to project success around diversity, inclusion and sustainability.

Click here to participate into the survey

Thank you for your participation !

13 Likes

To all those who saw the “15-20 min” estimate and are having second thoughts, I can share that for me the survey was quite easy to fill, and only had 3 or 4 free-form questions (none of which are mandatory IIRC).

I’d like to share some feedback on one the questions — specifically, the ethnicity one. I was surprised to see “African-American”, “Sub-Saharan African” and “White African” as the only options that came up when I typed “african”. As someone originally from Cape Verde, I feel that none of those represented what I should respond. Of course I don’t expect the survey’s settings to be changed at this point, but perhaps it might be a point to consider for future surveys.

5 Likes

Let me second @waldyrious in regards to how much time that survey took, a lot less than 15-20 minutes. It took me… less than 2 minutes? So yeah, maybe a better description would be:

“The time it takes to complete the survey, 2-20 minutes, depends on your answers.”

7 Likes

Yeaaaah white hispanics are also not on the survey and IDK if that fits.