UndefVarError: parameter_upper_bound not defined

Hi,

Since about a week or so I often get below message (several of them) when testing in Julia-1.6-DEV. It works fine when using projects but not in the (@v1.6) environment.

Is this maybe a change in Pkg? I’m fine working in projects, but just wondering.

Thanks,Rob

ERROR: LoadError: UndefVarError: parameter_upper_bound not defined
Stacktrace:
 [1] include
   @ ./Base.jl:375 [inlined]
 [2] include_package_for_output(input::String, depot_path::Vector{String}, dl_load_path::Vector{String}, load_path::Vector{String}, concrete_deps::Vector{Pair{Base.PkgId,UInt64}}, uuid_tuple::Tuple{UInt64,UInt64}, source::String)
   @ Base ./loading.jl:1219
 [3] top-level scope
   @ none:1
 [4] eval
   @ ./boot.jl:340 [inlined]
 [5] eval(x::Expr)
   @ Base.MainInclude ./client.jl:445
 [6] top-level scope
   @ none:1

Ref https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/pull/36794. Which package are you using?

Thanks, I see it in several of my packages, e.g. StructuralCausalModels.jl and Stan.jl. But also e.g. in DataFrames.jl.

I think the underlying cause was with the Compat.jl version. If that can’t be upgraded to 3.13.0 this problem seems to occur.

Yes, Compat indeed uses this. I think the fix was there last December which is why I didn’t ask about that specifically. The old version of compact probably won’t be fixed, but if you really have something that pins compact down and if you want a quick solution, you can find the fix for this issue in compat and apply that manually.

2 Likes

Yes, your hint put me on the right track. This is what I consider package-aging, I had not updated a package of mine (PtFEM) in at least a year, it was just sitting in .julia/dev. Anyway, projects is the way to go!