Turing: "no method matching cholenksy"

Good morning,

I am doing a Bayesian logistic regression with correlated logit regression co-efficients. Here is the model I am working with:

Turing.setadbackend(:reverse_diff)
@model BayesLogisticRegression(y, X) = begin
N_Observations = size(X)[1]
N_Features = size(X)[2]

Sigma  ~ InverseWishart(N_Features+2, Matrix{Float32}(I, N_Features+1, N_Features+1))
Mu ~ MvNormal(zeros(N_Features+1), Matrix{Float32}(I, N_Features+1, N_Features+1) )
Coefficients ~ MvNormal(Mu, Sigma)

Logit = X[:, 1]*Coefficients[2] .+ Coefficients[1]

Probability = Sigmoid.(Logit)
for i = 1:N_Observations
    y[i] ~ Bernoulli(Probability[i])
end

end;

Model = BayesLogisticRegression(y, X)
Chain = sample(Model, NUTS(10, 100, 0.65))

I am currently getting the error: "Method error: no method matching cholesky(::TrackedArray{…,Array{Float64, 2}}; check = false).
It highlights Sigma in the error. I used https://discourse.julialang.org/t/hyper-priors-in-turing/20752 as a template so Im not sure why I’m getting this error. Thank you!

Hi,
The following minor modification of your code runs fine on the current #master branch of Turing using Julia 1.1.0.

using Turing, FillArrays, LinearAlgebra

# Sigmoid function (numerically stable)
sigmoid(x::T) where {T<:Real} = x >= zero(x) ? inv(exp(-x) + one(x)) : exp(x) / (exp(x) + one(x))

@model BayesLogisticRegression(y, X) = begin
       N,D = size(X)

Sigma ~ InverseWishart(D+2, Matrix{Float64}(I, D+1, D+1))
       Mu ~ MvNormal(Fill(0.0, D+1), 1.0 )
       Coefficients ~ MvNormal(Mu, Sigma)

Logit = X[:, 1]*Coefficients[2] .+ Coefficients[1]

Probability = sigmoid.(Logit)
       for i = 1:N
           y[i] ~ Bernoulli(Probability[i])
       end
end

# initialize model with some dummy data
Model = BayesLogisticRegression(rand(0:1, 100), randn(100, 10));

# NUTS sampling for 10 iterations
Turing.setadbackend(:reverse_diff)
sample(Model, NUTS(0.65), 10);

However, if the initial values for Sigma are such that the matrix is not positive-definite & symmetric the sampling will break in the first iteration. Which means you have to be lucky or better set some reasonable initial values for Sigma.

Note: Unfortunately, we have to provid tailored gradients in Turing using our own DistributionsAD package for some distributions (including MvNormal) as not all distributions from the Distributions package allow for proper AD.

@cpfiffer is it possible to set initial values for Sigma using the new interface? If so, how would you do it?

– EDIT –
I seemed to have been lucky and cannot reproduce it anymore. I think you will have to set appropriate initial values.

@Kai_Xu Do you think we might have to change the initialisation procedure for such cases?

Stacktrace:
 [1] checkpositivedefinite(::Int64) at /Users/osx/buildbot/slave/package_osx64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.1/LinearAlgebra/src/factorization.jl:11
 [2] #cholesky!#97(::Bool, ::Function, ::Array{Float64,2}, ::Val{false}) at /Users/osx/buildbot/slave/package_osx64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.1/LinearAlgebra/src/cholesky.jl:182
 [3] #cholesky#101 at ./none:0 [inlined]
 [4] cholesky at /Users/osx/buildbot/slave/package_osx64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.1/LinearAlgebra/src/cholesky.jl:275 [inlined] (repeats 2 times)
 [5] logpdf_with_trans(::InverseWishart{Float64,PDMats.PDMat{Float64,Array{Float64,2}}}, ::Array{Float64,2}, ::Bool) at /Users/martin/.julia/packages/Bijectors/hFDmJ/src/Bijectors.jl:365
 [6] assume(::Turing.SampleFromUniform, ::InverseWishart{Float64,PDMats.PDMat{Float64,Array{Float64,2}}}, ::Turing.Core.RandomVariables.VarName{:Sigma}, ::Turing.Core.RandomVariables.VarInfo{Turing.Core.RandomVariables.Metadata{Dict{Turing.Core.RandomVariables.VarName,Int64},Array{Distribution,1},Array{Turing.Core.RandomVariables.VarName,1},Array{Real,1},Array{Set{Turing.Selector},1}},Real}) at /Users/martin/.julia/dev/Turing/src/inference/Inference.jl:519

It is possible, but it’s super user-unfriendly. Basically you have to pass in all parameters in a single vector, so this model would require you to unwrap all the elements of Sigma, Mu, and Coefficients. I’m hoping sometime that we can overhaul this to allow the passing in of a NamedTuple, but for right now it’s really primitive.