Trying and trying with Revise

This looks like what is needed, a good (working) workflow example for newbies to get a handhold. It takes an extreme investment of time to blaze a trail on your own from documentation and a pile of people’s helpful comments.

1 Like

Just going to drop this here to hopefully alleviate some future person having issues with using Revise – if you’re writing Julia code on one computer and debugging/running code on a remote linux server, and you’re using rsync to sync your code, make sure you’re using the --inplace flag in order to ensure that the file events that are being generated are changed events, rather than changed/rename events. The latter corresponds to the default behaviour of rsync, where a temporary file is created + moved, while the former behaviour is what can actually be picked up by Revise currently.

1 Like

Would you mind filing an issue at Revise, preferably with a reproducer that I can run?

Fixed by https://github.com/timholy/Revise.jl/pull/342

Also everyone should buy Tim Holy a beer and/or other drink of his choice in perpetuity because he’s wonderful. Not sure how we’d all get anything done in Julia without Revise.

8 Likes

Just an update, for those who prefer to develop with “one giant code directory that I add to my LOAD_PATH,” Revise 2.1.9 may be an improvement thanks to an issue posted by user xgdgsc. As always, if things don’t work as expected please report bugs.

2 Likes