Towards improving community diversity

There once was a similar topic:
https://discourse.julialang.org/t/creating-a-world-of-programming-language-to-be-inclusive-as-possible
it wasn’t started by me but splitted like this one.

After it was closed I asked myself what I did wrong and why it was closed. I am still not sure about the close.

This topic is already a problem again it seems to me:

The problem I see here is that we want to talk about being inclusive or lack of diverstity but some people (not necessary @mbauman the quote is just an example) are extremely exclusive on the way this topic should be talked about and what opinions are valid in such a discussion and what is not.

In my opinion, if we talk about increasing the inclusiveness in this community we have to deal with all opinions on this matter, even if someone expresses something against inclusiveness or against more women or against some kinds of diversity, whatever.

If a discussion like this is not really open to all sides those who like to contribute to this matter would have to be extremely cautious on how they speak (like @PetrKryslUCSD above) . And this can not result in a good discussion if everybody has to avoid the holy inquisition.

We can’t improve on this matter if talking about is already censored.

4 Likes